get this..

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
i took my truck in june 15, 2008 because my brake, cel, & abs lights were on and my RPM guage would jump from 350-750 at idle, yet the RPM of the engine would never change.

$800 and a week later, i get it back with a new TIPM.
i'm still not quite sure what exactly that is, but i do know i have a brand new under the hood fuse box.

my complaint:
took it too the shop again saturday due to my batteries draining after being shut off for 3+ hours, my odometer would never turn off, and my RPM gauge still jumped sporatically.

they call my back to tell me i need an $900 cluster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the hell gives? i am seriously not understanding this truck!!

in the past 6 months:
4 sets of alllll u-joints
new ecm
new tipm
new tranny
new transfercase
new front & rear end
new hubs (all)
all new steering components
rebuild engine
new shortblock
*bdh**bdh**bdh*

Have them show you the old parts and explain why they failed. Chances are they can't, they are just grasping at straws trying to get lucky and fix it.

I'd lemon that thing. There's no reason why you should have that many problems on a truck that new that's pretty much stock.

i can't because of the mileage and i am the second owner.
or else i would have lemoned it a long time ago.

this dealer handles my whole fleet of dodges (22 of them) and mine is the only one that continues to go back.

has anyone ever heard of the RPM gauge jumping but no change in actual RPM?

this is getting nuts!

What the heck happened to the motor that you had to rebuild it? sounds like you got a bad one!

well it looks like alot of those problems are from abuse to the truck or just plain rodding the heck out of it so maybe the person before you beat the crap out of it and didnt fix right or at all

TIPM = totally integrated power management
It regulates the voltage flow of the electrical system.

The problems you mention all sound like what the Bully Dog can and will do to some trucks. Unlike the Smarty, the BD uses or input info through the TIPM and ABS system. If there's something that gets corrupted the fix is for BD to write a recovery program for you VIN. The dealer would have no clue as to why it was fried and sell you another when sometimes all it takes is a recalibration.

9LIVES,
one dealer rebuilt the engine then #6 & #3 (i think) injectors dropped so i switched dealers to my current one and got a complete new engine

triton,
no, i have been running the smarty. i ran the BD for about two weeks, if that but my truck HATED it. if i got on it, it would drain the rail in seconds. it would cut out at every speed. i am running the BD on one of my 05's flawlessly.

kmk,
i do drive this truck, not hard 24/7 and when i haul with it, it is either all factory tuning or with my travel trailer smarty is on #3.

i will get the truck back tomorrow with a huge damn repair bill.
and it WILL be staying stock until sold.

so does anyone need a used TIPM or gauge cluster? ha

that week or two you did run it could very well have been what started it all.

My truck did the same thing and all I did was plug it in to bring it back to stock for you. When I unplugged it and went to start the truck.... the dash lite up like a xmas tree and wouldn't go away.

A month and 50 phone calls later... the recalibration finally fixed it.

The BD is known for doing this crap which is why when you mentioned the issues I was thinking it could have been the cause of your problems.

that week or two you did run it could very well have been what started it all.

My truck did the same thing and all I did was plug it in to bring it back to stock for you. When I unplugged it and went to start the truck.... the dash lite up like a xmas tree and wouldn't go away.

A month and 50 phone calls later... the recalibration finally fixed it.

The BD is known for doing this crap which is why when you mentioned the issues I was thinking it could have been the cause of your problems.
from what i understande the smarty can sometimes make the problems worst from the BD, i guess the BD makes some footprints the smarty doesnt like. Sometimes ending up in a runaway. All thought this hasnt been nailed down facts, but it sure looked to be that way.

from what i understande the smarty can sometimes make the problems worst from the BD, i guess the BD makes some footprints the smarty doesnt like. Sometimes ending up in a runaway. All thought this hasnt been nailed down facts, but it sure looked to be that way.

I think that's the other way around. It's very rare for the Smarty to cause ABS, TIPM issues if at all. All those lights he's seeing come from those two systems

The BD leaves a footprint no matter what I think... especially if you've adjusted any of the stock parameter i,e.
tire size, fog lights, high idle...etc.

Don't mean to be down on the BD but, I've dynoed both... ran both at the track I run the Smarty for well over a year now with no issues. The 2 weeks I owned the BD caused more grief than I care to think about. It works great on some trucks I guess but, not mine.

well hell.
this is why i am staying all stock for the remaining amount of time i own this truck.

better yet, my buddy has a totalled 06.
everything is idential other then the mileage on his cluster.
can i put his cluster in my truck and it work ok?

It would seem like you should, I would think all the ODometer data is stored in the ECM not in the cluster itself.

has anyone ever heard of the RPM gauge jumping but no change in actual RPM?

It is like everything else on the new crap. Instead of a mechanical gauge hooked directly to motor that almost never fails, they have turned to "drive by wire" crap like the APPS and all the gauges that feed sensors into 'black boxes' so when something fails you never know what it is. It takes a week and a $3400 tool to diagnose anything and that is if they actually know how to use it. Drive-by-wire sucks. $.02 I know! Let's get all our data off the CAN bus so when one device (the output drivers for the bus) fails, it takes the entire truck down! BRILLIANT! If we built stuff like that around here we'd all be out of a job.

Good luck with your problems. I wish I could help ya.

is the mileage stored in the PCM/ECM or in the cluster?
if my buddies will work, for now i will put his in my truck but don't want to tear apart my dash just to find out his won't work.

he has around 120k miles on his so it's not like i would leave this cluster forever, just long enough for me to get some money together to get a brand new one.

FWIW '02 stores milage in the PCM and I know a guy in Iowa that can change it if you need to swap a box from truck to truck and keep the original mileage on it. The dealers can't do it.

Back