getrag 360

sgreen

I am pulling a first gen with the getrag and to do this was trying to remove the shifter from the transmission. Looked like it was threaded on but couldn't get it to turn so thought a little heat would help break it lose. Shortly after applying heat the rubber insulator started bubbling out. How do I put this back on? Can I reheat the shaft and slide it back over, or is the only option to weld the shaft back on?

I am installing this in a 1966 swb f100, btw.

S

How much of the rubber burned out? You may be able to heat it a bit to get it soft and slip it back on. Mine had a lot of slop in it and I put 4 thin pieces of sheet stainless on the 4 sides and used a little love to slip it back over. This tightened it up and it still has the rubber in there do dampen vibrations. If the rubber is really deformed inside you may have a problem getting it back on and be tight.

shims

Good idea to shim it. If it doesn't go back on tight I will try that. I didn't really lose any rubber it just kind of bubbled so I think the heat will work to put it back on.