Gettin times out of a manual

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
OK, the age old question. How do I get good times out of a manual? I'm torn right now because I just dont want to pull my manual trans for an Auto. The manual is one of the biggest reasons I bought a 2 wheel drive dually. I most likely wouldnt have bought the darned thing if it was Auto.
See, I love my truck for what it is, BUT I love racing, all forms, from 500 left hand turns, to coal throwing, dirt flying sled pullin. SOOO obviously I want to Drag race with my truck.
And being that said, my truck does work. I not only need it for business, but untill the Ford IDI is fixed (or sold and replaced) this is my only means of transportation. GRRRR...... So WHAT DO I DO?? Become a master of the 30 minute transmision swap every weekend when I want to go race, bite the bullet HARD and swap the transmission for auto, or just deal with slow ET's because of a clutch, and waiting for syncros so it'll go into gear?????????? *bdh*

OH, IF I should swap transmissions or become the 30 minute master, What tranny? 3 speed 727, 47RH, others? Will a TH 400 bolt up? (hehehe I know my way round a TH400)

You're gonna hate me for this, but go with an auto. A TH400 will bolt right up with a GM trans bellhousing adapter plate. They're found on FritoLay trucks everywhere. I wouldn't be scared to put a TH400 behind a Cummins. There's several guys around here running 4l80e's... same family with overdrive, right?

brnadon.

Kickass! One more reason for me reason to find a fritolay van for other then the wheels! (and 4bt)

Yeah the 4L80E is a Turbo 400 with overdrive. I'll have to find a 4L80E then.
Id give up my getrag for a built 4L80E, im just afraid of chryslers reputations, and pricetags. Thanks!!

I have never done it. But I guess it depends on how detail oriented you want to be, shift linkages, steering column compnants, dash selector.

I personally (IF I do it) am just going to mount a B&M or Hurst right on the floor where the 5-speed shifter comes up.

So I immagine other then the trans, bellhousing adapter, TC, and flywheel, Its more or less just little stuff, like the shift lever n stuff.
However there are driveshaft length's to worry bout. For me being 2wheel drive I can get a way with a little more, specially being an older truck.

OH, and the computer to control the trans.

OK, so there is a lot involved. Probably a parts truck would be best to have.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm

check these guys out....
they also make a kit to make th 4l80E a complet manual shift were you put it in 3rd it stay in thrid no mater what....not the common "STICKOMATICS" that you see now in cars
and could prbly rigg a switch for the TCC

thus eliminate the computer for the tranny

Will the Chevy Tranny take the torque that the cummins is putting out?

By all means... Josh's buddy has a 12v/4l60e combo in a 3500 dually. It pulls a 3 car wedge most days of the week without complaining.

brnaodn.

We use a TCI trans computer. Its the only one we have used, I have looked into most of the others and they don't have the features the TCI has. They run around 700 bucks, but really nice, you program them Via Laptop. I even believe Dave at Goerends will build a triple disc converter for the 4l80. I think someone needs to put a 4l80 in dodge that races a lot and see what happens. I think it would be a great combo.

12vchevydually said:
Brandon I just looked at the link you had on there, Thats what we use, I think its actually a TCI iin a different box.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/Downloads/Software/T-Com/T-Com.exe

IF you get a chance download the software and do a little playing!!
Downloading now... I'm guessing it's like EFI live? You're really making me think twice about this DTT that's in it now. ;)

brandon.

Sure, But it would be sweet for a Quick diesel truck, A little more consistent!

It would be nice your Jeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back