Gooseneck ball positioning question/problem

deerefanatic

Always learnin...
Hey guys, the Chevy C3500 that I'm putting my Cummins into already had a flat plate gooseneck hitch installed on top of the frame. I took it off when I was doing the axle change, etc for extra room to work. Now that I'm putting it back in, I see an issue.... Ball is mounted on the plate such that it's about 7.5 inches foreward of the axle centerline... This seems WAYYY far forward. I'm thinking like 1" tops... Truck is extended cab, long box 2wd... I'm thinking I already have plenty of weight up front with the Cummins, I certainly don't need more! Plus, I'd prefer more weight in the back for wintertime..

What do you guys think?

If i remember correctly anywhere from 0-4" forward of the axle is fairly normal.

Posted via tapatalk if you know what i mean

We tow all the time and always set ours at 4" in front of the axle. We have to cheat a little on mega-cabs.

That being said we don't run Chevy trucks and they may be moving more weight forward to take some bounce out? Road walk?

Your best bet is to check out B&W's website and see if they have the specs on their hitch on there to give you something to go by.

6 in has always been the standard.the main concern should be your corner clearance to the trailer. When input my Hillsboro flatbed on my 03 f350 the ball was 6in in front of the axle but when I pulled the horse trailer the bed corners would rub the propane tanks. Most flatbeds were okay except the older shorter tounge ones. Now we have a 03 shortbed that the BW hitch is centered over the axle but you can't pull our wedge without the 4in ext after the axle. Really it's just up to you and your needs. My opinion for a Chevy, move it back over the axle cause the frames are junk and if you load it up they will bend.

I have mine about 6.5" in front of the axle and the only bad thing I noticed is that it makes backing up straight really hard. I think it rides smoother and handles better with it forward.

Well, it's moved back to 1" fore of the axle. I'm not too worried about the frame.. You wouldn't be either when you see my setup. I'll get some pics up soon! :D

all the trucks weve done

with weld on gn hitches have been four to six inches front of center of differential.... six being for the heavier towing, mine have always been set at four and work out great..on a long bed, as stated tho a short bed you can cheat a little

I run 1" forward from axle on mine. I like the extra room between the tailgate and the neck when I need to have it down and walk between them. $.02

mine ~1" in front, 6,000lb pin weight puts less then a 100lb on the front axle. but i dont have a regular 1ton chevy dually

I agree with 1-2". Already have enough weight on the front end of my truck. Although maybe you can get away with putting more up there with your configuration. It would be cool to have one that is adjustable for different loads and conditions, and could make one pretty easy on a flat bed or the frame rails.

i made a adapter to move the ball back 10" on my buddys mega cab. i took a b&w ball sliced it in two and welded it to a plate to spread the load on the bed. it is still easly removable. and clears his big trailer just fine. tows fine also.

I run reese rails with a pro series ball, its offset so I can have it ahead or behind the axle (about 4" difference). I usually run it ahead of the axle on most trailers depending on how much weight and how's long the neck of the trailer is. Seems to work good on the long box Ford. Decks on duallies seem to run into clearance issues often though so they usually need to be right on top or a little back.

Kronic

mine ~1" in front, 6,000lb pin weight puts less then a 100lb on the front axle. but i dont have a regular 1ton chevy dually

and in bad weather you can't steer!

6" forward has been pretty much the "standard" for years.

kick it up to about 36,000 gross and check it.

Last edited:
I'd expect that from an Okie...................:hehe:

You can catch me next week in the TOWER waiting on your call.:thankyou2:

Last edited:
Back