Governer spring problem

eastcoastfurry

Ok guys here is what's goin on. I pulled the shut off solenoid off and cap off rolled the motor over to the first set of springs. measured the nut to stud with digital calipers. Backed the nut off and removed three springs and a washer and lower valve seat. Put the pacbrake 4gsk. And when I tightened it down I couldn't get a accurate measurement. So when I did the other side I marked it with a paint pen and when I put it back in it wiped off. So for the past two days I been goin back and fourth with adjustments. Is there a easier way to do this.

I can get it to idle perfect and turn 4000. But I can't get it to come back down fast when I let off. It very very slow comes down then stops at 2000. I'm at my end with this. Please some one shine some light on this . *bdh*

I go by clicks. One soft and 3-4 hard clicks for most 4ks I put in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Measuring with clicks and calipers either way have worked for me on every kit I have done. Remember you feel the clicks and probably will not hear them. Making both sides relatively even is important. If they are both too loose you will have a slightly less RPMS and too tight you can get a really high idle. Uneven and they can bake it buck and act funny. The one time I had an issue I accidentally took out the idle spring shims and it did some funky things.

I would:

Reduce it by one click on each side since it is fairly simple first
Check for idle spring shims
Re do it with the "click" method
If still having issues maybe try some of the machined seats from Seth

you dont remove idle spring shims to do 4ks because you retain the stock idle spring.

I measure protrusion with the end of the calipers set on the top of the stud and the depth on top of the nut. I set all mine between .065-80" IIRC. Of course I do them through the AFC housing.

Are you sure you didn't leave an idle spring out? That will cause exact symptoms.

Thanks guy I have found the problem. Since its been two years since my last governer spring install. I for got that the factory spring seat on the bottom is two pieces.