grinding going into 3rd

dsl kicks gas

Runnin on Broke
i dont know if the syncronizers(sp) are out of 3rd or what....i had the trans rebuilt less than 2years(90k) at trans gear in greenfeild in, suposably the best place in the state!! i had to take it back once for if leaking...and now this...i had them put all the hd shafts new top plate and everything in it and everything.

i first noticed it yesterday after getting off the interstate after driving 150mi i went to downshift in to 3rd rolling through a stoplight and it ground and wouldnt go in. i will go fine if you double clutch it or hit it just perfect.

i replaced the clutch 2 weeks ago but i know it aint the slave cyl. because it only does it in 3rd weather its up or down. :bang :bang :bang

third gear syncro is out. Happened to me two times within 6 months in my '94.

Lance

Third is usually the most shifted into and out of gear so the syncro wears faster than the rest. I have put them in a pile of 4500s.

does that happen from hig rpm/fast shifting...when racing
(in my case)?

It can happen from that and it can happen from normal driving.

i just asked cuz my 96 short bed has 300k+ miles on the odo, gears worked fine when we bought it, now i started modding and shifting fast a few times, now it grinds slightly when i shift it fast!

i know why it went out, like you said 3rd is the most used gear lol

how bad is it to replace? i've been drivin it like a eaton. float goin up and double clutch and goose the throtle goin down will it hurt to drive it like it is? it will be after harvest befor i can get to it and i will be drivin it a couple hundred mi a week.

Its pretty easy if you know a little about the trans, other than that its a nightmare. You will have to tear it damed near all the way down.

like i said i've dun eatons at school, work, and at home but i dont know much about the smaller trans. but i think i can handel it, im asuming tht the 4500 has a single counter shaft?

Sigle counter shaft. Your gonna need a press or a puller to get the bearings off and on (New bearings).

thats what i figured, by the way the case is shaped. i have a press, and a bearing puller/seperator i use for eatons. how much is a rebuild kit?

i just went out and looked it's 75-90 syn. i've heard that they are finicky about the grear oil that you use

I've had 2 third gear synchros go out within 3k miles... Sucks!

is there any to keep it form happening again? twice in 3k is a little much. some weeks i drive 1000mi +

dsl kicks gas said:
is there any to keep it form happening again? twice in 3k is a little much. some weeks i drive 1000mi +

I'm not sure, but this is quoted on Quad4x4's site
" The synchronizer and small parts components supplied in our kits are genuine New Venture parts. These parts are more expensive when compared to what everyone else sells, but we have found from bitter experience that saving a few dollars with aftermarket parts does not work out. In particular, the aftermarket bronze synchronizers many tout as an "improvement" over the high-tech New Venture rings, are in reality a step back to the stiff shifting light truck transmissions of 40 years ago. Our NV4500 Kits are simply the highest quality and most comprehensive NV4500 rebuild, overhaul, and service kits you can get."

I know for a fact that my 2 trannies have had the bronze synchronizers. They are going to put in the standard NV synchros this time. I'll try to remember to update here.