grinding in 3rd

dsl kicks gas

Runnin on Broke
i dont know if the syncronizers(sp) are out of 3rd or what....i had the trans rebuilt less than 2years(90k) at trans gear in greenfeild in, suposably the best place in the state!! i had to take it back once for if leaking...and now this...i had them put all the hd shafts new top plate and everything in it and everything.

i first noticed it yesterday after getting off the interstate after driving 150mi i went to downshift in to 3rd rolling through a stoplight and it ground and wouldnt go in. i will go fine if you double clutch it or hit it just perfect.

i replaced the clutch 2 weeks ago but i know it aint the slave cyl. because it only does it in 3rd weather its up or down. :bang :bang :bang

You sir have lost third gear synchro :bang

Just float the gears, clutches are for sissies :poke: LOL

i've about had it with this dang thing......i think it's for sale lol and a 3rd gen is im my future.

how much would it be to have it fixed, everybody says that you have to have a jig to get the 4500's back together. i've rebuilt a few roadrangers but i dont know much about it. will the trans be fine to keep drivin it like that?

when they rebulit it they said that ya could float the gears with no problem, most of the time i do from 3 to 4 and alomst alwyas form 4 to 5. would of that hurt it?

a jig??? :poke:
you need a socket for 5th gear nut and the output splines. And a good set of BIG snap ring pliers. A 4500 is a simple tranny.

thats what i was thinking. if i was to do it my self how much would it run me?

No clue on the 4500 rebuild, it is a very simple tranny with "manageable" parts though. Why not swap in a 5600 instead? MUCH stronger, and floats the gears almost as well as an Eaton, with or without synchro's.

well i've been wanting to sell it for about 6 months, and after i fix this it's gone. i be gettin a 3rd gen sometime after i sell this one. after the money i've put in this one( non perf.) i could of dang near of paid for a truck that is a year or so old. :bang

but how much would it be to convert it over?

heck the 4500 is easy to float in my opinion but i dont know how hard or cost wise it would be to rebuild

floatin goin up aint a problem, down shifting to roll through a stoplight or making a turn is the hard part :lol