Gutting the cat

dangerous06

diesel tech
Has anybody done this? I looked inside mine and the holes are really small. Can't remove it I'm in CA next best thing hollow it out! Any thoughts on this?

It's been done before, I've also seen guys hollow only 4" out and run a piece of 4" straight pipe through it.

Start with smallest rod you have, once you get hole threw
just keep chipping away. It's not easy.

If it's ceramic, no big deal, bang on it with a chisel and hammer until it's crumbled and then just start the truck.

If it's a stainless steel mesh, they are terrible to deal with. You'll eat bits over and over. They are typically brazed in there though (the substrate to the mantle/shell), so if you cut it at the OD part, you can heat them up with MAPP gas and press them out.

One other trick, a semi trunk Pre-DOC is typically made for 5" and looks just like a cat. It's also very easy to hollow out.

"One other trick, a semi trunk Pre-DOC is typically made for 5" and looks just like a cat. It's also very easy to hollow out"
Now that is a great tip!!
And where would I acquire one of these?
I've searched various models and none show what your talking about! Can you give me a full name for it and who uses it!
THANKS!!

Last edited:
Yall are all doing it wrong. Go get a really long wood paddle bit and start drilling hole in it it crumbles like powder. That's easiest way to gut it on the truck.

"One other trick, a semi trunk Pre-DOC is typically made for 5" and looks just like a cat. It's also very easy to hollow out"
Now that is a great tip!!
And where would I acquire one of these?
I've searched various models and none show what your talking about! Can you give me a full name for it and who uses it!
THANKS!!

Hmm, I know they're on 2015+ International MF13's, but should be on any SCR Class8. It should look something like this:
c17-0053_1243croppedjpgv1424451312.jpeg

I'd recommend going to a fleet and talk to the service manager. See if he's got any old one's he can "sell" you. I don't think they're supposed to sell old ones, but they have to pay to get rid of them, so he might let you snatch one for $20.
It'd definitely help if you had a buddy that worked at a fleet.

Yall are all doing it wrong. Go get a really long wood paddle bit and start drilling hole in it it crumbles like powder. That's easiest way to gut it on the truck.

That only works on ceramic ones. The new stainless steel substrates are not as easy. If Dangerous06 has a ceramic one, he can beat it with a hammer and break it apart really easily and then start to truck to push the crumbs out the tailpipe.

IF yours is factory original is it will be ceramic. Get a long bit and go to town with it, that stuff is harder to break than you think.

No. Just much louder.

Getting rid of the cat pushes the sound meter to obnoxious.

Why destroy something that cost so much instead of just replacing it with a pipe? When the EPA madates emission inspections a few years from now, I'm gonna laugh at all those that have destroyed or sold their emmisions crap and have to buy it all back new. :D

IIRC magnaflow offers 3.5, 4 & 5" aftermarket cats

the pricing.... well

Why destroy something that cost so much instead of just replacing it with a pipe? When the EPA madates emission inspections a few years from now, I'm gonna laugh at all those that have destroyed or sold their emmisions crap and have to buy it all back new. :D

It's already happening in California. There are multiple ways to get around it though and you don't have to destroy your cat to do it.

I thought they were platinum inside??

Not for a long time. Now there's three primary precious metals used. platinum palladium and rhodium
The amount used is usually specified in grams and is pretty low.
It doesn't make them less efficient because you're really only using the surface area of it, so if you can make it super thin while coating, you're just saving money.

I gutted mine im in So Cal now I have to replace to pass emissions. I used a digging bar and hole hawg to clear it out. Its definitely louder

I basically made a delete pipe on my dad's 2wd '06 some years back. Only instead of a straight pipe, it was a secondary muffler. Dad didn't care for the noise level with just one muffler. After he sold the 2wd, we did the same to his 4wd '06.

I used Illustrator to draw up a template for some square 4-bolt flanges with a 4" bore in them and made a total of 6. 2 for the muffler, 1 for the end downpipe and 1 for the beginning of the intermediate pipe and 2 for the stock cat. Dad had them made up by the fabricator at his work. Took them to our friend at a muffler shop at the time and had him weld them on for us. When it comes time for an emissions "test," it's a simple matter of unbolting the muffler and slipping the cat in. Cool thing about the flanges is that when either the cat or muffler is out, it stands nicely in a corner taking up little real estate and not laying or rolling around on the ground.

These are the only pictures I have from the first setup on the 2wd.

100_7553.jpg

100_7554.jpg

100_7571.jpg

100_7573.jpg

Last edited:
Back