Gutting the cat

I basically made a delete pipe on my dad's 2wd '06 some years back. Only instead of a straight pipe, it was a secondary muffler. Dad didn't care for the noise level with just one muffler. After he sold the 2wd, we did the same to his 4wd '06.

I used Illustrator to draw up a template for some square 4-bolt flanges with a 4" bore in them and made a total of 6. 2 for the muffler, 1 for the end downpipe and 1 for the beginning of the intermediate pipe and 2 for the stock cat. Dad had them made up by the fabricator at his work. Took them to our friend at a muffler shop at the time and had him weld them on for us. When it comes time for an emissions "test," it's a simple matter of unbolting the muffler and slipping the cat in. Cool thing about the flanges is that when either the cat or muffler is out, it stands nicely in a corner taking up little real estate and not laying or rolling around on the ground.

These are the only pictures I have from the first setup on the 2wd.

100_7553.jpg

100_7554.jpg

100_7571.jpg

100_7573.jpg

This honestly looks to be the best way! Spend little extra time now to save time and trouble later down the road!

This honestly looks to be the best way! Spend little extra time now to save time and trouble later down the road!
Thanks. It's very easy. Just watch out for any particulates that may fall out. In our case, the only money in it was for the muffler and installation. If I knew how to weld back then, we would've saved installation cost.

Back