Haisley Dual Disk Problem

083_mac

Bruiser
So I have a haisley dual disk it is the old school street drag clutch, and to my knowledge the only difference in the new ones is that this one has four ceramic pucks and the new style has six. The clutch has been resurfaced by Kentucky Clutch and I have never had a problem with their clutches in our semis. My issue with the clutch is that it will not disengage. I was driving to pick up a friends ford to rebuild the trans and on the way back I was getting off the interstate and went to down shift and it would not disengage. Never had an issue with it prior to this and it does have the HD hydraulics. First thing I did was put new HD hydraulics on it thinking for sure it was the issue. Adjusted the master to where it released about halfway and boom worked great until it ran for about 15 minutes then the same problem all over again so I adjusted the master more and it would fix it for a couple minutes until I was out of adjustment. Started it once more the next morning to move it out of the shop and it disengaged for a couple minutes then did the same thing. Sorry for the long story but looking for some advice before I go pulling the trans just doesn't make sense to me on why it will release when its cold. Also I won't be able to touch the truck for about two weeks because I am out of town for work.
Thanks.

Possibly wish it had an inspection plate so you could see what is going on. Any idea of a way to check it? Get it to the point of no release and remove the slave cylinder or will the fork have any free play?

If it's the typical old school 4 lever/finger pressure plate, one of the adjusters for the fingers is probably backing itself off, the tip of the lever moves away from the throwout bearing, and it won't release.

We use that style pressure plate in quite a few farm tractors, and have seen this problem several times. I tack weld the adjuster nut after I adjust it to prevent this problem.

Its a non adjustable diaphragm clutch wish it was the 4 level design but it is not. Thinking it could be the throw out bearing sticking or possibly a bad shaft but it never slipped and still wont slip and at start up it will release. So I am thinking the throw out bearing because this would make sense because it releases at start up but not after it builds up heat.

Has anyone ever had something fail in the diaphragm or a warped plate or something on the clutch that has failed and caused a non releasing issue?

So finally got around to pulling the trans and found that I do have a 6 puck haisley but it is an older style. While I was pulling it out it got stuck the bell housing was about six inches away from the adapter plate and it would not budge so after moving it and messing with it for about a half hour it finally broke free. Long story short I found that the disk farthest away from the flywheel have broke every rivet and was riding on one plate and I guess the hub was getting stuck and not allowing it to release. Thanks for the suggestions just figured ill let you all know what actually happened.