Hamilton 181/210 cam? thoughts?

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
Got a friend that went with a different cam in his 3.0 p pumped 12 valve pullin truck. So he's tryin to talk me into buyin his old Hamilton 181/210 cam that was in it. Said I could still run stock pistons with it and he only had one season on the cam. I was there when he pulled it and it seemed to be in good lookin shape. Said he would sell it for about $450 to me if I wanted it. He joked with me to get rid of my "tractor cam" and let the ol girl breathe. He really got my gears turnin and made me start to wonder how it would run with my setup? Is it worth trying to get and put in? I'm sure it would be beneficial some but is it worth doing? He claimed it help the top end and spoolup a lot and that it'd be great for my higher rpm truck pulling with a VE pump. What are your thoughts? Or should I wait and go with something else down the road?

You won't have to worry about piston clearance with it. It should really help you with spool up and making the engine more efficient. I'd think you'd see a nice little hp and torque bump. I'd be very interested to see what it does on your high horsepower ve setup. It won't hurt that's for sure. Do you have a stock cylinder head?

yep still stock head, never had it off. I've got head studs and 60 lb valve springs but that's it. I was slso wondering if i should go to 110lb springs or something else if i go with this cam? This would be the first actual engine mod for this truck. Currently running a bullseye 66/71/14 turbo with my 14mm VE and 6x18s. The last few dyno runs I've done have been just over and just under 500 HP. I've heard the 181/220 is a bit better for making HP, but the 181/210 is better for higher rpm application? which is what I want for truck pulling. I can run anywhere from 3500 to 4000 rpm pulling down the track. I think I will give Hamilton a call but I was wondering what experience VE guys had with this cam.

Does the 14mm H/R move the bulk of its fuel at 3500 ~ 4000 rpm?

My experience with the 12mm shows the fuel is being moved much lower in engine rpm. That's where the air needs to be IMO. While the 181/210 was an improvement over the stock/OEM cam, I saw a notable improvement over the 181/210 with the 188/220. More air, in the lower engine rpm. 2000 ~ 3500ish rpm.

I don't know if that's going to do you any good in your application.

- Call Zach. ;)

Last edited:
A 188/220 will be close on piston clearance but like stated above, give Zach a call and he'll help you out. And also I don't think 110# spring are an improvement over 60# at all. The 110# springs are for 24 valves so you have 2 springs providing pressure so they are actually by themselves lighter than a 60# spring. I've heard that 60# springs are 60 pounds over stock. I believe that's correct but I could be totally wrong. Someone else would know for sure.

I've experienced valve-float with the 181/210 and the Cummins "60#" springs.

IIRC, Zach's got a pretty informative post somewhere in these forums where he talks, in great detail, about his findings regarding the 60# springs.

Unfortunately when he got his name changed, all of his old posts got deleted.

There are a few reasons we don't sell the 181-210.......If you buy the 181-210 see how it runs. After a month or so call me and I'll trade you gratis if you will post up your thoughts good or bad.

Stock springs are around 78-82lbs on the seat, 60 lbs are around 147lbs on the seat but have identical pressure on the nose as stock springs. In other words, they help fight reversion but do little to control float at higher rpm. Nose pressure is a pretty big deal if you like rpm higher than oem.

Zach

Last edited:
There are a few reasons we don't sell the 181-210.......If you buy the 181-210 see how it runs. After a month or so call me and I'll trade you gratis if you will post up your thoughts good or bad.

Stock springs are around 78-82lbs on the seat, 60 lbs are around 147lbs on the seat but have identical pressure on the nose as stock springs. In other words, they help fight reversion but do little to control float at higher rpm. Nose pressure is a pretty big deal if you like rpm higher than oem.

Zach

That sounds like a pretty good deal right there! ^^^

Zach could you please clear up my confusion on if the 110# springs will work on a 12 valve and if so would they be of any benefit compared to stock or 60# springs? Thanks a ton.

I'd get the Hamilton #165 springs. It's amazing how light the retainers are!

I have heard that someone sells a 110# spring for the 12v, but can't remember who it is. That is better than oem, but less effective than the inexpensive 60# springs. Our 110# springs will not work on a 12v.

I think everybody in the diesel industry should start calling the "60#" springs "145#" springs to make it clear how they compare to other springs at installed height.

For the record
oem 12v springs 80lbs seat pressure 240lbs @1.4
"60lbs" which are really 145# on the seat, 240 @1.4"

12v retainers 40 grams
Titanium 12v retainers 24 grams
Hamilton 11.8 grams.

Last edited:
I have heard that someone sells a 110# spring for the 12v, but can't remember who it is. That is better than oem, but less effective than the inexpensive 60# springs. Our 110# springs will not work on a 12v.

I think everybody in the diesel industry should start calling the "60#" springs "145#" springs to make it clear how they compare to other springs at installed height.

For the record
oem 12v springs 80lbs seat pressure 240lbs @1.4
"60lbs" which are really 145# on the seat, 240 @1.4"

12v retainers 40 grams
Titanium 12v retainers 24 grams
Hamilton 11.8 grams.

Thanks Zach.

I just ordered a 188/220 cam Friday along with a set of 165# valve springs. I'm really looking forward to them coming in

Back