HARD-BLOK Treatment

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
I was thinking of using this to fill the lower portion of my 1998.5-53 code block....

I have seen pulling blocks that are completely filled to the deck, I was wondering on just a 2"-3" pour off the bottom of cylinder bores....

:evil Any thoughts welcomed?

* Saturday I was talking to someone who mentioned that the Hard Blok is cement based and that there is an alternative block fill compound, but since he didn't have it in front of him :doh: he couldn't recall the name. I am interested in the description he told me about this other product....

Anone know what the other block fill product that is not cement based is called?????:bang

:evil

Does this stuff go in the water jacket? I cant think of anywhere else it would go.

Wouldnt that create some heat issues on the street?

dan

not when you keep it below the freeze plugs. still may hurt a bit for severe highway pulling.

joefarmer said:
Couldn't you use a lifter valley epoxy? turbo brick guys have been running Devcon Ti.

http://www.buickperformance.com/455LV.htm

brandno.

I think that would be pretty hard to displace that epoxy evenly in the water jacket at the bottom of each bore. It said it has the same consistancy as peanut butter...

BUT:evil I may just have some other uses for this epoxy:evil ..... that link said it expands and contracts just like cast iron....:evil :evil yep, I'm gonna need some to 'experiment' with.......:evil :lolly:

:thankyou2:

Where is the best place to get the material for filling the blocks? Does anyone do this service?

What's the pros and cons? cost?:stab:

I have used a bunch of hard block before just to the bottom of the freeze plugs on street applications & no problem.It does cause some slight core shift sometimes so it should be done before a bore,hone& block deck squaring.
I have poured excess into a wheel barrow with rust to see what it would do.It looks & feels like ceramic but much harder!Hit it with a hammer & would not break untill a serious lick!:evil

For a racing only application you will fill it up to the top correct?
Is this something a professional should take care of? or can your average do it yourselfer do it?

You can do it your self.You just need a motor stand to do one side of the deck at a time.Race blocks are grouted completely.Water goes thru the heads only.

I use it , on mine filling it to the bottom of the freeze plugs , the product is escaping my memory , but ill get it for you . I know that the Cummins has a problem with bore stability, and you must hone or bore the block with a torque plate after , but you should do this on any real race or pulling motor. This is not a fix for the 53 block, it just stabilizes the bore. Or allows you to take the bore to the next level. . Remember in a 24 valve the bigger the bore the bigger the valves

This is on a 12 valve motor. What type of cooling system do you suggest after filling all of these passages?

Bringing up an old thread here.

If you was to fill the block up for "Race Applications" would it not eliminate the oil cooler? And what about the water pump isn't it below all of that? It seems to me that the Hard Blok would fill the water pump.:bang

Who knows, any thoughts?

JamieWood said:
Bringing up an old thread here.

If you was to fill the block up for "Race Applications" would it not eliminate the oil cooler? And what about the water pump isn't it below all of that? It seems to me that the Hard Blok would fill the water pump.:bang

Who knows, any thoughts?

When filling completely -to the deck surface, one will make block off plates for the oil cooler, and water pump, then use another means to circulate the water through the cylinder heads via a electric pump, and delete the oil cooler or use another external style cooler........ :evil

RacinDuallie said:
When filling completely -to the deck surface, one will make block off plates for the oil cooler, and water pump, then use another means to circulate the water through the cylinder heads via a electric pump, and delete the oil cooler or use another external style cooler........ :evil

Don't know much about a cummins application but thats exaclty what we did on my '49 JD pulling tractor, electric water pump running water through the head.