Hard knock after rebuild and 11k

dangerous06

diesel tech
Looking at a truck 2005 with a fresh rebuild 11k on it. Customer states truck started knocking hard after climbing a big hill with a heavy load. Metallic knock to scary to describe! Pulled the head thought is was a dropped seat. #4 Cylinder is oily in exhaust port and piston has Valve indents! Everything else is clean and perfect. My question is I know the pan has to come off but I want to confirm a wasted rod bearing first. so was going to dial indicator the pistons to see if there is a major difference. Is there anything else I'm missing or should check? The truck is bone stock nothing on it.

You should be able to roll engine back and forth with piston at tdc and see how much slop is in it

That I'm gonna do! Just how would you rock it? Front bolts don't work and need a second person to do it by flexplate!

Get it to where it starts on down stroke with 15mm on front bolts, the push down on piston.. Should do the trick to see if it's bad,, just set up dial gauge then push

I use a barring tool with a wobble and two extentions equalling about 4' and it will fit under the turbo and out right above the alternator. Thats how I set timing by myself because you can feel it better and watch what you feel. Basically same process to check piston protrusion.

Well rod bushing was gone rod hammered crank pretty much a toasted rebuild! I wonder what the builder did wrong? Lasted 11k Anybody have a good crank laying around?

Back