hard start....new symptom

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
hard start....new symptom...Update

Well my hard start hasn't gotten any better or any worse, until this past saturday when I parked my truck in my driveway but I backed in instead of pulling in. My driveway has little bit of a slope and I do mean a little bit. I went out to start the truck on sunday afternoon and it cranked right up. So today I thought I would test the slope out again at school. I parked it with the front of the truck facing down the slope. Well I went to crank her up right after class and it fired up just fine. :doh:

Why is my fuel going out of the injection pump and perhaps back into the tank? If I park my truck facing down the slope it cranks, but if turned around it wont. :poke:

Any ideas or tips on how to fix this?

Last edited:
Sounds like you may be getting air in somewhere causing the pump to loose some prime. It is funny yours does this, cuz mine will hard start if nosed downhill while hot.

You've got no lift pump by the sounds of it. Best address that soon or it will get expensive.

Other than that it could be a leak somewhere. Do you have a FP gauge on that monster?

Yeah I've got a FP gauge. Also I'm running a Holley as a stand alone pump. I have noticed that my FP guage needle will fluctuate sometimes, but only by about 1psi or so. Other than that my FP is fine. 15-14 at idle and nothing belwo 13 at WOT. I parked my truck facing down my driveway so when I go take my lab practical here in a little bit will see if she fires right up.

I'm confuddled then. No idea. A minor flutchation in pressure is normal and nothing to worry about.

Burner said:
Do you have a check valve in the line?

In the return line or the line going onto the VP? If your talking about the line going into the VP, no I don't. I'm runing the vulcan kit and it has the full flow fitting. As far as the return line, I'm not sure I've never messed with it. As a matter of fact I remember reading a post that said something about a check vavle a while back... I'm gonna see if I can dig it up.

Facing down hill to me would indicate that you may have a problem with the Holley Pump. Can you test it?

On level ground the VP44 should be able to draw fuel from the tank but on a slope where the motor is higher than the tank (more so than normal) the VP44 will not operate as it should.

I just did this (yesterday) to a client where the VP44 would run fine but the new FP gauge didn't register a dime of psi. After installing a FASS the pressure sits nicely at 19. The truck ran fine but the LP was DEAD with no codes present to boot.

hey guys i use to have this problem until i replaced the oring in my fuel filter houseing
got a bud that had to dop it also
now since last time i tighted it i keep good flow i guess mine started hard last week while the weather was so cold i thought maybe inj but was the oring leakin down
as to why dont even ask me cause i dunno

That points directly to a lack of fuel at the IP on initial startup, but makes no sense whatsoever :bang With cooler temps my hard start problems went away, hot or cold seems to make no difference now.

Dave, have you had the hard start TSB done?? Just wondering if any of ya'll have and whether or not it made a difference.

Billysgoat said:
That points directly to a lack of fuel at the IP on initial startup, but makes no sense whatsoever :bang With cooler temps my hard start problems went away, hot or cold seems to make no difference now.

Dave, have you had the hard start TSB done?? Just wondering if any of ya'll have and whether or not it made a difference.

No I haven't, but all the post that I've read said that they were having starting problems after the truck was warm. :doh:

Billysgoat said:
So you are having hard start problems only after the truck sits a bit??

It doesn't matter if the truck is hot or cold or has been sitting up all weekend, as long as it is facing down a slight to steep slope it will crank fine. If its facing up the slope I have to bump the starter but it takes about 5-6 seconds of keeping the key turned before it cranks. CRAZY isn't it.......:bang

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say internal leak in the VP44 is allowing the fuel to back out of the pump just a bit and basically create a minor vaccum lock. A check valve of some type might help, be worth a shot anyway.

i have an 06 6.0 and i just developed this problem in the last day or 2... it does not matter if the truck is hot or cold or sitting or not or on a slope or flat land. I am going to check the fuel filter o-ring. hopefully it's simple like that..thanks

Well here's an update:

Put the new VP and the hard start was still there and the stutter/cutting out stopped until I went and picked my truck up from Garmon's. It cut out the whole way back to macon and kept doing it till I got to Athens and now I can't get it to do it any more?!? I called Scott over at massdiesel to see what he thought and he recommeneded me unhooking my Comp box completely. Well I went for a ride with the still hooked up to see if I could get it to cut out, but it wouldn't and still hasn't. So untill it does it again I'll unhook the comp.

While all this has been going on my Fp has been going crazy so I ordered a check vavle kit so I could rebuild the Holley and I got all that done today.

This was in the pump.

DSCN0051.JPG

Got it all back together and running, but I've been letting the truck sit up to see if it'll lose prime. So, shortly will see if this has fixed my hard start.

M*$*#( F@#*&^!!!!!!

I STILL have the hard start! I don't know what to do.............

SuperDave4x4 said:
Well here's an update:

Put the new VP and the hard start was still there and the stutter/cutting out stopped until I went and picked my truck up from Garmon's.

When does this shutter/cutting out happen...between 20 and 30 PSI? Sounds like Edge has a problem with juice and comp boxes. This is like the sixth time I heard of that happening (like on my truck) and everyone either has a juice or comp. WTH???? :bang

4x4dually said:
When does this shutter/cutting out happen...between 20 and 30 PSI? Sounds like Edge has a problem with juice and comp boxes. This is like the sixth time I heard of that happening (like on my truck) and everyone either has a juice or comp. WTH???? :bang

I dont remeber where the boost gauge was at, but it starts at 2k rpm. The thing is I can't get it to do it anymore. But that hard start is still there and that's what's really making me mad.

I had a hard start a lot like what you were describing, but for me, it didn't matter if the truck was on a slope.

I replaced my injectors, and the hard start went away....

Back