hard start sometimes

Wozxxx86

i need money
like the title says, i have a hard start sometimes. not when its warm or been plugged in, starts just fine then. but lately its been having to crank longer and cough a few times before starting even when its 60 somthin outside. seems to be getting worse. possible starter? has new filters and new lift pump a couple months back.

Mine use to do the same thing. Timing might have slipped a little. thats the best i can come up with but there are a lot of variables.

when it gives me a hard time yes there is smoke. giving it some throttle is the only way to get my truck started, idle is set at right around 700. after its been runnin for a min it doesnt smoke more than would be expected from a cold motor, after its warm its as clean as can be.

try pumpin up the lift pump till you hear it bypassing at the injection pump. my guess is some bad lines letting in a bit of air to the system.

Or bumping up the idle to 900 where it's supposed to be.

Or does the idle climb after a while?

Bump your idle up to around 800. Have you checked your over flow valve? Does it start easier if it's parked facing downhill? Slipped timing is a possibility.

Id say starter. I had the same issue and threw a new one on the night before last and damn it its back to normal!! Oriellys has a NEW not reman starter for $189 and only a $5 core charge!!!! Judging by it getting worse and worse, im going to highly doubt its on the fuel or motor side. its more than likely the starter(id bet on this) or a battery crapping out on you. Go to a trusted parts store and have them check your batteries to see if ones completely screwed. If theyre even pretty good, id just pick up a starter and call it done.

I also had a starter give me some problems before it shot itself. Wouldnt hurt to do like Drasko said and test the batteries and starter. Start easy!

just made it out today to look under the truck and all around for leaks. none that i could spot,everything was dry also the OFV is near perfect around 42 psi. the starter was on my to do list because i had smoke come out of it twice this winter. that hard start issue was the lift pump. as far as my idle it runs very smooth after its warm its at 750 and with the bar set higher on the sticks it idles as smooth as my 06 mustang. that mod mad it a slight bit harder to start like a 1/10th of a sec longer. but its just been a gradual thing now. i wanted to rule other stuff out before i throw money some where other than the fuel tank.

Well if the truck turns over slower than it should be, then it's almost definitely the batteries and/or starter. Should probably even have your alternator tested while your at it.

My alternator took a dump on me early one morning almost 3 years ago. I replaced it, and I replaced my batteries soon after. The alternator crapping out pretty much took my old batteries with it. Starter is still holding steady. But everyone's truck is different.

ok checked batteries, they were fine. starter was a bit weak, but not realy bad. so i cleaned all the connections from the batts to the starter etc... as suggested by someone i checked the plug to the fuel heater and guess what, it was leaking. so thats the only place i can find that fuel shouldnt be and thats where he found his system to be sucking air. so thats on my list now.

Did this happen just maybe once a week ? I have one here with a new starter and once a week or so it's hell to get started. Once it does though it'll start again just like a new one. Idle is set @ 850 IIRC

Is there anything that seems to make it better or worse?

Mine did this forever till I realized my battery cable was loose. It would start fine in the mornings but if you shut it off at the drive thru it would barely turn over but would finely start.