Hard Start!?

dsl kicks gas

Runnin on Broke
it's been gettin hard to start, you have to crank on it for a second and sometimes twice, i replaced the vp a little over a year ago, when it went out then it just ran like crap, got the dead pedal, died started back, died and the check engin light came on. if you cycle the key 2 or 3 times it seems to be not as bad, i first thought it was leaking fuel, i let it set over night but cant get any air out at the filter or sending unit for the gauge(on vp) could the difram on the vp be going bad?

i'm running holley blue with 1/2 lines, 16psi @ idle 14@ cruise and 12.5@ wot, have had basicly the same setup since the vp was new, i replaced the check valve when i put the vp in. :bang

the batts are gettin weak, and almost crank a little slow, but i dont think it's enough to cause that, im gonna take them back to NAPA and trade them in 24 month full rep. war. and i got them in nov. of last year.

Sounds like a bad vp if it dies after start up and has a dead pedal and is hard to start.

no thats what it did last time the pump went out, not it is just hard to start and runs fine, i thought it was fuel leaking off but like i said i cant find it anywhere.

i'm going to get new batts. and see if that helps any. it cranked ever slower thismorning.

mine is doing the exact same thing, and only doesnt start when the motor is hot, takes a little while to start when not hot but still is hard to start, i have looked at alot of things i think i will change my battery cables next they are pretty corroded. my batteries checked good. how are you getting 16 psi out of a holley blue? did you stretch the spring??

Mine wont crank if I park it facing down any degree of slope, but if the truck is facing up hill it will crank fine weither I've let it sit their for 10minutes or 10 days. I went to go install my new connector tube Orings the other day and the dern things have grown legs and walked off. 45 dollars down the drain......

i replaced the filter and cross over orings, and no more hard start. it still cranks slow because of the junk batts.

i streched the spring and sanded the plunger, i've been runn it a good while now with no problems.

SuperDave4x4 said:
Mine wont crank if I park it facing down any degree of slope, but if the truck is facing up hill it will crank fine weither I've let it sit their for 10minutes or 10 days. I went to go install my new connector tube Orings the other day and the dern things have grown legs and walked off. 45 dollars down the drain......

See mine's doing the exact opposite. Park it down hill and it fires right up, park it up hill and it hates to start. I'm thinking that my pump is bleeding off the pressure in the lines while it's sitting.

wow 45 for o rings!? mine were 3.75 sounds like the check valve on the vp return line.

Replace the vp and check valve. No difference. I think the pump is bleeding down after I shut it off.

i changed the pump and check valve on the old pump as well, no help. i have troubleshot it to be caused by heat, when its hot it wont restart, if i let it cool or even hose it down (not recommended) it fires.

There is a hot start reflash... Mine will do it in the summer from time to time, but not bad enough to make me do anything about it LOL

yea i was looking at that but the only thing is why would it do that this year and not last or the year before?

Pump is getting older. A sign of a failing vp is having a hard start when warm. Mine does it hot or cold.

BgBlDodge said:
See mine's doing the exact opposite. Park it down hill and it fires right up, park it up hill and it hates to start. I'm thinking that my pump is bleeding off the pressure in the lines while it's sitting.

Mine did the same replaced the o rings on the cross over tubes and it has been fine.

will be doing that next injector change... waiting on the word from DonM:pop:

dsl kicks gas said:
wow 45 for o rings!? mine were 3.75 sounds like the check valve on the vp return line.

When I replaced my VP44 I replaced the check valve on the Vp also. Yeah I couldn't believe my ears when the parts guy at the dealership said that. Where did you get your orings from??

CL2000 said:
Mine did the same replaced the o rings on the cross over tubes and it has been fine.

I had done it once and it didn't help. Found out why this weekend. Apparently one of the new o-rings tore when it got installed. Replaced it (along with my pretty nasty looking dragon flows) and wa la, she fires on the first crank. It's so nice.

Where are yall getting yalls orings from? I don't want to pay 45 bucks again.