Having trouble deciding on a turbo

Greasemonkey78

Is there anybody out there with a similar setup to me and what turbo are you running. My egts are out of hand and its time to move on. I talked to multiple vendors at TS and was told of a new Industrial Injection Viper 63/68 12 or 14 or the ats 4000. Cant decide im open to options and opinions

Truck is a daily Driver that tows anything from a Riding mower to a 18000lb Backhoe

Trying to stay with a single or are twins an option?

I like to go fast

If you're going to tow heavy a 12cm housing is better, my 14 spools kinda slow.

62/71-14s aren't horrible but can get hot if over fueled pretty easily. I would recommend a small set of twins if funds will allow. Or somewhere around a 62-64mm with a 12cm housing if you want quicker spooling. A friend of mine regularly tows pretty heavy (10-18k) with a turned up 180 pump (4ks, 100 plate, tuned AFC) 5x14 injectors and a 62/ (I believe)71- 14cm

I like to go fast

His gets warm initially while accelerating but can be managed at 1200* on inclines but you do have to watch the gauge. His is also a NV4500

I like to go fast

Twins arent really an option right now so I would just like get that poor little wh1c off there cause its getting its butt kicked and its gonna leave me stranded, and im sure my drive pressures are through the ceiling. One of my biggest problems is deciding on housing size cause im afraid if i get a 12 its still gonna get hot

I am aslo not opposed to getting a set of 5x14s or so if thats what i need to make this work

I liked to tow best with 35/3b twins, then a 57/65/14, then 62/65/12 and disliked a 63/68/14 the most.

The 57/65/14 would cool egts good towing in the mountains on the west coast. Limited by cooling system ability.

Twins were by far the best of everything.

12cm housing for a more responsive turbo.

Last edited:
I would get a 62 and upgrade to twins in the future if it still gets on the warm side. But it should still be better than the WH1C

I like to go fast

Something like a 62/65/12, I'd keep the housing a 12cm. An HE351 might fit the bill if you're on a budget. Things shouldn't get too crazy with 215 injectors and a 10 plate.

I towed a 30' camper that was loaded full camping gear and I had to small 4 wheelers in the bed and with a he351 with a ported gate , no plate and 215 injectors. I did have to watch the gauge in mountain pass but it wasn't bad as long as I kept my speed up 60-65. I didn't have my afc adjusted the best for towing either since I was headed to the drag track and did not want to mess with the afc .

I've got a VP truck but concept is close to the same. 7x.010 injectors and a 62/71/.7. Best charger I've ever had. Spools hard and fast, my egts never climb over 1200. Top end is a little lacking. It will be getting twins and a gate in the future though. I do tow weekly as well. Heaviest I've been was a 11k tractor and 3k implement.

Yes stock delivery valves

I have a phatshaft 62 on the way figure ill give it a try and upgrade to compounds later

One of my biggest problems is deciding on housing size cause im afraid if i get a 12 its still gonna get hot

A big, laggy housing that won't make substantial boost at cruising RPM is going to get hotter under normal driving compared to a smaller, tighter housing.