Head gasket question

zstroken

For $$$ your name here
What is the latest and greatest sealing option for the 6.7? Oringing and using the MLS gasket? Just the MLS gasket, or use a 24V gasket with the fire rings cut out? Strictly competition. Only thing I don't like about the firerings is that your out probably $225 everytime you pull the head.

Also on Scheids site why does it say a new valve cover is required for 14mm head studs?

Run the MLS. JMO.
Next step up is copper I would guess.

MLS with 9/16" studs be adequate? Why does it require a different valve cover? Scheids site says with 14mm studs it does.

MLS with 9/16" studs be adequate? Why does it require a different valve cover? Scheids site says with 14mm studs it does.

I may be way off here but, i think there are clearance issues with those studs and thats why the new cover. I remember seeing a few guys had to trim their old covers to allow for clearance. IIRC

Trim them how? Just make the holes bigger, easy to trim them or??

Im not exactly sure. I just remember seeing a pic of a trimmed cover. It was just trimmed on the one side to make room for the stud. I wish i knew more to tell you. It was on another Forum though. Im not sure if was a 5.9 or a 6.7 either. I do know that it was trimmed out to make room for studs.

Im not exactly sure. I just remember seeing a pic of a trimmed cover. It was just trimmed on the one side to make room for the stud. I wish i knew more to tell you. It was on another Forum though. Im not sure if was a 5.9 or a 6.7 either. I do know that it was trimmed out to make room for studs.

On the both 6.7's I had to do a little grinding to get the area in yellow to clear the stud.

Attachments

• Rocker Cover.JPG
    Rocker Cover.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 23
Thats normal for all cr's. I believe it says in the directions that it has to be done.
It didnt mention it in the info sent with the studs I had because arp said they didnt have studs for a 6.7 but the 24v studs were rumored to fit. I asked why they were "rumored to fit" and they said they havent tested them enough at the time to stand behind them fitting. They may have it in the info with the studs now.

Thats normal for all cr's. I believe it says in the directions that it has to be done.

Yea common thing, or atleast every one iv seen its had to be done... A little dye grinders your best friend there

As for the gasket I'd defintely just go with a new mls gasket, a fresh decked head and studs, could do o-rings but I really think your as well off with the mls, and like you said the fire rings would get exspensive if they had to be replaced every time the head comes off