Head gasket

white 06

Head has been resurfaced 5 thousands going back with the thicker stock gasket and stock cam.This may raise compression a little just dont want any valve or injector issues.I think 5 thousands would be okay just not sure what what the minimal clearances are.If anyone has done this how did it go. nothing is bolted dwon yet if i need to go with a thicker gasket now would be a good time to get one.Just dont want to toss $140 on the gasket

I ran a .016 shave on a .010 over gasket with no issues as a result of the parts combination. Just over 100k miles on it before it had to come apart again.

From My Not-So-Smart Phone

What you do to the head isn't going to affect cr. if you decked the block it would. Did you install new valve seats?

What you do to the head isn't going to affect cr. if you decked the block it would. Did you install new valve seats?

That is false. Taking any material away from the head or block will alter CR a very minute amount, though It's nothing to worry about

from phone

Removing material from the head would raise compression by an almost insignificant amount, but you will have a lower than stock cr with the thicker gasket.

What these guys said ^^

Compression ratio is the volume of the cylinder at BDC divided by the volume at TDC. Thus lower that volume at TDC raises the CR.

That being said, the thicker head gasket is usually 10 over and they took 5 off. Therefore it will lower your CR.

Last edited:
That is false. Taking any material away from the head or block will alter CR a very minute amount, though It's nothing to worry about

from phone

If you do the valve seats I thought the compression ratio does not change?

from phone

The combustion chamber is in the bowl of the piston. If u deck the head and replace the valve seats absolutely not thing with change with compression ratio. The valve stem will stick out of the guide 5 thou. More but the bottom stays the same thus allowing you to run a stock head gasket

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

The combustion chamber is in the bowl of the piston. If u deck the head and replace the valve seats absolutely not thing with change with compression ratio. The valve stem will stick out of the guide 5 thou. More but the bottom stays the same thus allowing you to run a stock head gasket
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

that's why I said it depends on the machinist.

And I was thinking of removing block material. That's my bad I was kind of vague in my post.

Sent from my Obama foneeeeeee!!!!! (Jay Kay)

shaving a hair off and replacing it with a thick gasket will cause literally no change

Back