Head leaking from at back passenger corner ????

cumminsforfun

Just had my head pulled , checked for cracks and flatness , head came back fine , while head was off I had the rear freeze plug swapped out and had a threaded plug installed to prevent it from blowing out , while doing this I installed a coolant by pass to also help relief the coolant pressure... Installed 625s and layed a new gasket the. Tq to 140 ft lb , ran truck for 2 weeks and babied it under 2500 rpms and 25 psi Of boost ... No leaks , then I re tq the head to 155ft lbs. truck ran great and I finally really got on it (60 psi 3500 rpms ) 1 day no leaks .... 2nd day I drove it same thing ram like a champ , 40-60 psi , now on the 3rd day I come out and a see a small puddle (2-3 inches in diameter). Of coolant ... I look at the back of the head and it seems to be moist on the passages corner above the factory threaded freeze plug nearest to the exhaust manifold , ... But I really can't determine where it's actually leaking from?? Anyone have a similar experience or fix , I'm getting ready to just give up and buy a new head .... It's leaks once the truck is cold and has sat over night ... I've already checked all the hoses back there...

did you put pipe dope or thread sealant on the threaded plugs before you installed them?

Yes I did , and the new plug seems to be fine ... If anything it's the factory threaded plug , but it seems to look like it's above the plug and the only thing above it is the valve cover gasket , and I sure hope there not coolant in the valve train , dip stick looks fine and the truck runs and starts up fine , I plan to pull
The valve cover tommoro

More than likely the heater bypass hose behind the exhaust manifold. Put a few turns on the hose clamps clean everything and run it! It's getting blown up there by the fan and wind at speed.

Pressurize the cooling system and look again for the leak..

Back