head retorque and coolant loss

snow ram

Newb
went to retorque my head tonight and loosened over half the studs up when one of my coworkers pointed out i was loosing coolant.
i traced it down to coming out of or near the very back corner on the passenger side head stud.
i continued along my retorque pattern and when everything was tightened up, there was no more leak. let it idle for a while, no leak, and drove it home normally, no leaks or coolant loss i could see.

anyone have any insight on this? i thought maybe i just loosened a few studs too much on that side and some coolant leaked out. that shouldnt be a problem from the way i looked at it but i thought maybe someone else ran into this before?

btw, the total amount it leaked was maybe a puddle the size of a piece of notebook paper
the truck has a BRAND new 20 thousandths gasket and some big o-rings stuck in the head with 14mm studs.

how many did you have loose at one time and why??

I have always loosened ONE at a time and retighten going by the CUMMINS torque sequence.

Lance

You should only do one at a time. You can try to retorque may be too late.....

i probably had a dozen loose at once. its just how i saw the guy who built the motor retorque them

the motor just got rebuilt for those who didnt know and i am just in the retorque process.
its not like i blew the gasket though.... it just leaked coolant

keep an eye on it ! the coolant getting between the gasket and the block and or head could be a problem with it sealing good. but after a week or so i would have to say if you are not having any problems it might be ok.

You'll be fine. I ususally drain a little when I'm going back through and taking everything up and then pulling it down again. Make sure you didn't get any in your oil.

Seen this before, you probaly had to many studs loose at one time. If you have it back together now with no leaks you should be good to go. To be on the safe side most auto parts stores now are carrying a nano technology sealer. There are several different brands, and a little pricey roughly 20-25$ a quart but it works like a champ to seal up head gaskets. I would check into this just to be sure.

DONK78 said:
Seen this before, you probaly had to many studs loose at one time. If you have it back together now with no leaks you should be good to go. To be on the safe side most auto parts stores now are carrying a nano technology sealer. There are several different brands, and a little pricey roughly 20-25$ a quart but it works like a champ to seal up head gaskets. I would check into this just to be sure.

I have seen the nano technology work and I would use it in a heart beat good stuff!

CL2000 said:
I have seen the nano technology work and I would use it in a heart beat good stuff!

What is the purpose of the nano tech additive?:pop:

WAYNES WORLD

Back