Head stud debate

crpower

So I'm getting ready to pull the head, I already have 425's should I use those and get the head o-ringed or sell them and get 625s and run a mls gasket?

Thanks Cole

I'd stick wuthebthe yet a and mls

I'd stick with the 625s and mls.

I spoke to the engineer for h11 a few yrs ago. They know about the studs on the manifold side breaking and corrording. You would think they would redesign them nor at least put a coating on them.

I wouldn't use anything other than ARP. Did you blow the head gasket or what's the reason for pulling the head?

I wouldn't use anything other than ARP. Did you blow the head gasket or what's the reason for pulling the head?

No, stock bolts are still in and more fuel and air is on the way so I figure it's time to do something.

If it's not leaking change them out one at a time. Your not going to get a new gasket to seal as well as one that's been on there for awhile. What are your goals with the truck. I would say if you are never planning on going over 600-700hp arp 425's would be fine.

No, stock bolts are still in and more fuel and air is on the way so I figure it's time to do something.

You might be pleasantly surprised at how much 425's and a stock gasket will hold. Change them out one by one like the guy above said.

I'm running 425s with an o ringed head and thick victor reinz gasket with 80+ psi of boost and no problems yet. They are also torqued to 145 ft lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My truck has stock head gasket with 625s changed one at a time lots of fuel with 60psi still good

425's here on the truck since about 09. rebuilt the motor and added another 200 rwhp. knocking on the door of 800 rwhp (never past 55 psi) and no complaints.

its all about the installer and the torque sequence and RE TORQUE if you ask me. i did 3 retorques the first week after the motor went back in.

From what I've experienced, ARPs aren't impervious to corrosion either. Mine got coated in grease on install this last time.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back