Head stud problem

cummins45

I replaced the block in my truck awhile back with a new head and all and I bottom taped all the holes in the block for the head studs. I went to do all the torques by sequence and when I got to one of the last studs in the back of the head I went for the final torque and the stud just spins ans looses itself up. you can go back with the allen and the stud itself goes back into the block fine nice and tight but as soon as you put a socket onto the nut to tighten it, it feels like it slips and the stud itself lossens up... anyone have this problem?

In the bore cant see them. when I taped them they were fine, had 125 ft pound on it, then did a retorque week after cold retorque then it slipped. like I said tho the stud goes into bore nice and snug

I had a similar problem with a head stud. It was actually the nut was slipping on the threads of the stud. It was not pulling any threads but soon as you torqued it, it would jump threads.

I've tried two differnt head studs same result with them. I'm going to try a head bolt next. I used moly lube. It's weird cause the stud goes in nice and snug

Yeah I know that. Saying it goes in good by hand and then have to use Allen to put it in rest of the way

You need to mark the stud and when you spin it, see if you're spinning the sit for just the nut. Because I almost can bet it's the nut. It's almost impossible to strip the threads in the block

If the thread in the block is indeed stripped go to Timesert.com for a threaded insert that works. These things are very easy install and hold better than the material they are going into.