Head Studs or Not?

01Grizzly

Ok I just bought a super b special for my truck. I was wondering if i should get my head studded and o-ringed just to be safe, or can i get by with just retorquing the head? My truck is a 2001 2500. I have the edge with the juice, K&N cold air tube, BHAF, fass 150, and straight pipe. The tranny is an auto and has been beefed up already. Thanks for the help.

Kyle

You will be fine for the fuel you have by just bolting the turbo on.

that is what i figured but my dad is mad that im puttin this charger on so i might do them just so he will shut up. that and after a month i will get hp hungry and probably go bigger and need them.

you should be fine for know. ive been hitting 50psi with mine for 5 months know and havent had any problems yet.

ya i think you should be alright to retrorque them. i would think about switchin out the k&n tho. they are not very strong built...they will collaps

yeah i was told that afe makes a good kit. but i was lookin on a website and they have like 15 different versions. can anyone tell me wha would be the best one for my truck? i dont care about the cost cause i want my truck to be performing at its best.

Which BHAF are you using? My 2790 NAPA is holding up fine.

i am using the same one as you. i noticed tho that my k&n kept my Hy35 cooler then that BHAF. so i want an afe kit i just dont know which one.

Always let the truck come up to full operating temp before you hammer on it.

I've been running mid 40s psi for several years now, and I've never had an issue. But, I always let the truck come up to full temp before I lean into it.

You should be fine as long as you take care of the truck!

I've been running mid 40s psi for several years now, and I've never had an issue. But, I always let the truck come up to full temp before I lean into it.

Very true well said.....I'm running around 48psi and all i did was retorqued my head to around 135 foot pounds been good ever since..Don't waste your money with studed head bolts

Just replace your head bolts with studs. Follow cummins torque pattern and remove them one at a time. Take bolt out, put stud in retorque to ur studs specs, move to next bolt and start all over. Dont need to oring it.
Ive talked to several people and they say replace the bolts while head is still on. That way its not warped and still seated on your block the correct way.

i care for my truck more then i care for my family. i tell you what that super b really eats:rockwoot:. now i need injectors.