Head studs

Bad-Duvall

MOST HATED
Ok i have a 07 and have just got head studs for it. Now have questions about installation..
What are the steps?

So do i Need to bottom tap the block holes?

Do i have to remove the head to do so? Or can i just change them out one at a time?

Do i need to replace the head gasket?

Any kinda input is great..

truck on has 7000 on it

Somebody that has actually done this let me know what it was like

1)no You do not have to bottom tap block
2)You do not have to remove head to install
3)The head gasket does not have to be replaced
4) Once you put all of your studs in the block you need to follow a torque sequence and I believe it is 5 ft/lbs at a time all the way to 125ft/lbs.
When your all done with the install my advise would be to drive the truck for one week not going over 20psi of boost and then the next weekend re-torque them down and you should be good to go.
your arm will be plenty tired and depending on your skill level it should take any where from 5hrs to 8hrs. Just take your time and double check your self. Hope this helps

:bow: The Jeff Garmon's secret isn't secret anymore ! :) I would add one thing.... don't wait a whole week to retorque. Once you're done... crank the truck and get it up to running temp and then retorque before you ever drive it. Than in a few weeks, check them again. You shouldn't have to retorque as they should be nice and seated.

Thanks guys i should be ok ive been a mechanic for an international dealer for the last 5 years and now i teach diesel at a high school.. Oh yea Triton i had your truck as my back round for awhile its awsome!! Thanks guys

Bad-Duvall said:
Ok i have a 07 and have just got head studs for it. Now have questions about installation..
What are the steps?

So do i Need to bottom tap the block holes?

Do i have to remove the head to do so? Or can i just change them out one at a time?

Do i need to replace the head gasket?

Any kinda input is great..

truck on has 7000 on it

Somebody that has actually done this let me know what it was like

I did the studs yesterday. Here is a write up I just did. I will complete it tonight or tomorrow.
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=177753

ok whats the diff if you bottom tap and if you dont? are all the threds coverd by block with out taping if so then whats the point?? if not then i do see a point.. HIGH TECH RAM. triton. I takeit that you or people you know have done this with out taping and they are fine?? Aggie007 If you can tell me the point to bottom taping that would be great..

Thanks
Benn

Bad-Duvall said:
ok whats the diff if you bottom tap and if you dont? are all the threds coverd by block with out taping if so then whats the point?? if not then i do see a point.. HIGH TECH RAM. triton. I takeit that you or people you know have done this with out taping and they are fine?? Aggie007 If you can tell me the point to bottom taping that would be great..

Thanks
Benn

You want 50-100ths of an inch (1/8" or 2 threads) of thread past the nut as per ARP's spec. To achieve this you have to bottom tap the holes. Also you will run into clearance issues with the injector harness assembly. The more threads you have in the block the more force the stud can hold.

I understand studs are not needed till boost is more than 50psi right?:st: