Headgaskets and Water Methanol

J.Keith

Pro Diesel Tech
So, I've been working on a '06 Dodge for a customer recently. It's got twin pumps, 62/480 twins, ARP 625's, DDP 90hp injectors, Maxspool Cam, pushrods and springs, Snow Water Meth, MP8 and a Smarty TNT/R.
Truck was running like a raped ape. Numerous 750hp pulls, lots of daily driving and some pretty decent towing all on SW7 or SW9. No problems at all!
So he sells his truck and the new owner was driving it home and popped the headgasket. Turns out he had reprogrammed it to SW 0 and left the water/meth on. Now, I'm far from a genius but that really doesn't seem like a good plan to me.
Is it possible that since he was running a half power setting with the water/meth that it was detonating the methanol and thus blew the gasket?

It's just really hard to believe that it would perform perfect all cranked up and then pop the headgasket going down the freeway with no load at all.

Am I way off in my theory?

Huh, a friend of mine blew the head gasket on his 24v using straight meth. Otherwise I've never really heard of that happening.

yes i think you are correct about it detonating cause the methanol will act just like propane does and actually fire off before the diesel fuel does.

meth- just ruined my friends 760+ hp 2nd gen truck--
he thought he had only water in the tank but there was meth left in--- could see the det. on all 6 of the intake side of the pistons

-never understood using meth- it burns before diesel (det)
-water cools so much better

+ Why would anyone need meth/water when running 'stock tuning' with twins?:bang

So, gobs of timing from the SW 0 and the meth is probably the downfall eh?

I thought SW0 was half timing, half fuel, half power? At least it is on the 2nd gens. I know windshield washer fluid will blow a stock headgasket on a 2nd gen.