Headgaskets

super duty04

What is everyones opinion on installing new gaskets if I do not have a lift available is it easier to pull the motor than to pull the cab? Last time I elected to pull the cab but was thinking that pulling the motor may be easier. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also what gaskets are everyone running.

I'm doing a set right now with the cab on 3rd set. just a lot of climbing up and down takes a little longer.

If you choose to do it with the cab on, I'm sure you will know which way to do it the NEXT time they blow out on you.

My opinion: pull the engine, resurface the block and the heads. Use new Ford head gaskets, and if you don't have them already, studs.

The rest of you who keep saying that you have changed your 2nd, 3rd+ set on the same truck.....maybe you gotta try it a different way.

Do it with the cab on, it's really not that hard.

Got a picture of youself torqueing the back studs up to 250+FTLBS???

Good Luck....

It's hard enough to torque up the injectors with a 3/8" drive torque wrench with the swivel end.

Yes , its hard and you'll know you did it the next day. Ribs are really sore from laying across the engine and its tough to keep a torque wrench on a level plane to get an accurate reading. I did it then went in and did a retorque ! Hope I never have to do it again !

i am on head gasket install 147 at work, 18 engine pulled out, 4 in chassie and 125 with cab off. and there where reasons for the in chassie the prevented the engine to be pulled easly, the 18 that i have pulled out to do were in Ambulances

i am on head gasket install 147 at work, 18 engine pulled out, 4 in chassie and 125 with cab off. and there where reasons for the in chassie the prevented the engine to be pulled easly, the 18 that i have pulled out to do were in Ambulances

So, out of all the gasket changes you have done, how many have you had to do more than once?

i would have to guess because i did not keep track of that, but i would say 10% with in 50K of haveing them replaced. because of towning the crap out of them. and there have been a few that i guess did not get the memo of towing the 20k 5th wheel with there 100hp chip up the side of a mountain. those have come back in as little as 7k miles, bad erg cooler and heads lifted.

the local diesel shop quit puttin stock head gasets on so he switched to hypermax fire ring gaskets and bolts and has had better luck than stock gaskets

Jeeez don't start talking about the Hypermax gaskets again.......I think we all just got on the same page with those little items.....along with any fire-ring style gaskets.....

i would have to guess because i did not keep track of that, but i would say 10% with in 50K of haveing them replaced. because of towning the crap out of them. and there have been a few that i guess did not get the memo of towing the 20k 5th wheel with there 100hp chip up the side of a mountain. those have come back in as little as 7k miles, bad erg cooler and heads lifted.

Wow.....I thought it would have been way higher then that. :clap: Good Job!! I thought the blocks would have more distortion then that, and just cause them to go out again...$.02

I really don't know how you get at the passenger side back ones with the A/C box there....I have a b!tch of a time pulling the valve covers...:hehe:

Wow.....I thought it would have been way higher then that. :clap: Good Job!! I thought the blocks would have more distortion then that, and just cause them to go out again...$.02

I really don't know how you get at the passenger side back ones with the A/C box there....I have a b!tch of a time pulling the valve covers...:hehe:

well if i am just pulling the valve cover i like the straight head 12mm ratchet wrench. but if i am haveing to pull the head in chassie i take the a/c box out.
i have checked every block that i pull the head off of and i have only replaced 2. one of the engines i replace the block got so hot it melted the swizzle stick in the oil filter housing. the other was because of pitting on the sealing surface of the block

I'm doing a set right now with the cab on 3rd set. just a lot of climbing up and down takes a little longer.

before doing another set you may as well spend the 400 bucks on ARP head studs. Have heard a lot of guys use them and have good luck. Unless you have already changed the gaskets.

Jeeez don't start talking about the Hypermax gaskets again.......I think we all just got on the same page with those little items.....along with any fire-ring style gaskets.....

Exactly *bdh*:bang

well if i am just pulling the valve cover i like the straight head 12mm ratchet wrench. but if i am haveing to pull the head in chassie i take the a/c box out.
i have checked every block that i pull the head off of and i have only replaced 2. one of the engines i replace the block got so hot it melted the swizzle stick in the oil filter housing. the other was because of pitting on the sealing surface of the block

Please tell me you do your work in Maryland:bow:

Back