Headlights flicker and dash lights inop

red dodge2

Have a 95 dodge with 272,000 thats got a headlight flickering problem and no dash lights. The headlights wont flicker as soon as you turn them on but after there on for a little while they will, already replaced the swith and they still do it. Also the dash lights are inop. Checked all the fuses and they seem good. Anyone have any suggestions on what to check next?

make sure you don't have a broken ground on the dash light circuit. might want to put the headlights on a relays, that should fix the flickering unless its an alternator diode going out.

Check the harness coming to the switch too for melted/damaged wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just swapped a new multifunction switch in mine yesterday. Wasn't the problem. What was the problem was the pushed out pins from the connector.

Check all of your dash and underhood grounds. Most electrical issues trace back to a bad ground...

I already cleaned all the underhood grounds. Will check the pins on the multifunction and see what they look like.

No one mentioned that almost every car on the road has it's tail lights and dash lights on the same fuse. I suggest you check the fuses again, not just by looking at them, with a multimeter. There is a pretty good chance your tail lights aren't lit either.

Relay under the hood been swapped around? The power from the battery to the fuse box underhood is perfect?

Last edited:
I had a truck start doing the same thing after it melted down the dash switch. I replaced the switch that comes with the plug and a section of new wiring. Looked over every connection possible, what fixed it was installing the relay kit headlight depo sells. It was cheap and easy and the lights were brighter than before the problem.

LMC Truck Heavy Duty Headlight Harness:

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

If you don't do the harness I'd at least replace the lamp connectors. I had a ground issue in the original connectors on my '95 and had to replace them. They're not expensive and readily available at most any parts store.

Last edited:
It keeps blowing the 5A illumination fuse in the in cab fuse panel when i pull the head light switch out.

Back