Heads,gaskets,studs?

AMARILLO 6.0

Which headstuds works the best on a 6L?Which headgaskets
are the best one?Finally fireringed, o-ringed or neither on 6L heads?

ARP head studs, Ford OEM gaskets and keep the heads stock.

Make sure the head are milled flat and checked for cracks. 6.0l/6.4l heads love to crack at the exhaust valve seats.

Black onyx has been proven to be unreliable.

You get what you pay for.

We've had our best luck with stock Ford gaskets and H11 head studs. Let us know if we can help...

Wide Open Performance
801-233-1111

I have victor reinz with ARP on mine and so far so good. But yes make sure that your heads are flat or else you could have more problems on your hands.

What are you guys tq-ing the arp studs to? 210ft 215ft or 220?

Any prove that Ford blue gaskets are better than the Black Victors? I have been useing the Black gaskets with ARPs at 218ft done 5 trucks this way no problems as of yet all are running SCT no custom/hot tunes.

Thanks!

Black onyx opinion..........

We use black onyx/victor reinz all the time. Never had one come back and they all use the hottest tunes from Gearhead or tuner of choice and tow heavy.
So who has proven them unreliable? Maybe someone that doesnt do prep correctly or just doesnt know what they are doing.:kick:
Just my opinion. To each there own. As for ARP torque values, I have spoken to Arp about this and we use 215 ft. lbs. Doubt the 5 lbs. makes a difference but we were told it would be safe up to about 225 with the new lube. FWIW, we dont use their lube.

We use black onyx/victor reinz all the time. Never had one come back and they all use the hottest tunes from Gearhead or tuner of choice and tow heavy.
So who has proven them unreliable? Maybe someone that doesnt do prep correctly or just doesnt know what they are doing.:kick:
Just my opinion. To each there own. As for ARP torque values, I have spoken to Arp about this and we use 215 ft. lbs. Doubt the 5 lbs. makes a difference but we were told it would be safe up to about 225 with the new lube. FWIW, we dont use their lube.

Are you milling the heads? If so how much before you have valve lash/lifter preload problems?

I ear of guys who have the APRs installed with new black gaskets and still see some coolant puke with custom/hot tunes?? Seen a truck friday that had the dealership do his (blue gaskets) and tows very heavy truck only has Dialo Predator still pukes I'm thinking maybe his oil cooler is cloged up?

milling

Are you milling the heads? If so how much before you have valve lash/lifter preload problems?

I ear of guys who have the APRs installed with new black gaskets and still see some coolant puke with custom/hot tunes?? Seen a truck friday that had the dealership do his (blue gaskets) and tows very heavy truck only has Dialo Predator still pukes I'm thinking maybe his oil cooler is cloged up?

Yes, we mill just about every head. Minimum head thickness is 3.74 inches. Have we gone below that? Yes we have. How much? Quite a bit, but it gets to be alot of extra work. Such as sinking valves deeper and shorter pushrods, shorter valves, shimming springs, etc.
We have installed these gaskets 2 ways. Out of the box and coated. No problems so far either way. One company that we service their fleet has about 70 6.0 vehicles and another has about 35. We have done headgaskets on probably half of those 2 fleets and they are abused daily. (construction companies) KNOCK ON WOOD.
As for the diablo truck, diablo has been known to use alot of timing in their tunes. And we ALWAYS replace the oil cooler when doing headgaskets. The oil cooler is almost always the cause of headgaskets to start with, atleast in my opinion.

Matty169 are you checking the head 1st with something like a BHJ Precision Straight Edge.. Before milling for a go.. no go test

Thanks!

Yes....

Matty169 are you checking the head 1st with something like a BHJ Precision Straight Edge.. Before milling for a go.. no go test

Thanks!

The straight edge we use is in a fancy wood box and cost about $900. Owned by the machine shop that does our heads(and both of the local FORD dealers heads also.) Dealers claim they cant mill heads and they must be replaced. We have 2 LARGE Ford dealers in town and they both have their heads done at the same place.

Back