Heart-ache Head

Jcummins

$4/gal. Waa?
I spent another day at the shop and a buddy with an '01 4X4 QC auto
just had the tranny rebuilt from a broken intermediate shaft that snapped in a short burnout session on the back roads.(ATS stage 5, whole nether story)Got the tranny back in, took it for a test run just checking preasures and adjusting the valve body, no launches or burnouts of any kind.
We pulled it into the shop and the damn thing was spewing oil everywhere.
Pulled the radiator cap and it was full of oil. FRIGGIN MOTHER @#$%&@!
Got the head pulled of and the gasket had about 5-6 places that were just toasted.
The head was O-ringed and studded (ARP) and this still happened.
The question is what could have caused this?
I'm saying cold motor, big preasure launches, cold day and the head lifted.
When he had the head off before he had it machined .016 down because it was warped pretty bad.
Owner thinks it must be a material flaw or something and just wants to can the old head, but hates to spend $1,000 on a new one.
We'll see if its warped agian before makeing any calls on that.
Any one seen anything like this before, if so what caused it?
Truck is hopped up pretty good, but nothen that would do damage like this.

what kind of boost? turbo drive pressure? egts?

All I know is that the truck runs something like a super 62/12.
Honestly the guy has only been able to put a few thousand miles on the truck since the new studs and O-rings because of tranny issues.
I say he's a buddy, but I really don't know him that well. Just seen him around the shop a few times.
He did have nitrous on it for a short while.
What does it take to loose a head gasket that well supported?
------------------
I lived in Loveland for a while, miss it like hell.

Loveland sure has grown lately I dont know if you would reconize it any more.We had a 99 that lifted a head with it being oringed and studded we found that 90 psi of drive pressure and 50 psi of boost = blown head gasket after changing the turbo configuration problem was solved and since has held up to numerous 80 psi passes.I have also seen personally heads that were not machined correctly causing failure,retorque procedure not performed correctly,too high of egts that actually burned the gasket out.Take your pick it could be a number of things I would see what a machine shop has to say about the head.Good luck with it and have fun flushing the radiator:bang

Jcummins said:

I would say a cold engine has a lot to do with it.
I wouldn't consider doing anything included high pressure on a cold engine.

:badidea:

Jcummins said:

Thats just asking for trouble. always warm it up before flogging on it.

Glad to see I'm getting support for my theory, just wish I could get the owner to admit to it.
:bang