Heat exchanger and Twins

Roy 31

Dont know JS!
I am going to putting on a set of twins and was reading the directions:hehe: I know but, Im new to this! And it said to get rid of the factory heat exchanger and install a new trans cooler. Just wonder what others have done? Used?

Move it to the front crossmember:
enginefront.jpg

right about there -----------------------------------^^^^^^

bnraodn.

i fit my bht3e in beside the factory cooler. it wasn't real easy, but it wasn't that tough either.

You can use a plate type cooler and mount it elsewhere on the frame or if theres room in the front.... just make sure it has enough flow through it (internally)

RacinDuallie said:
You can use a plate type cooler and mount it elsewhere on the frame or if theres room in the front.... just make sure it has enough flow through it (internally)

That's what I did. I mounted a plate type cooler under the pickup with a electric fan. For what I do it works out better then the heat exchanger. With the heat exchanger the tranny fluid won't get down below the temp of the coolant. I like to start passes with the tranny temp at 140. Everytime... The heat exchanger is way more efficient then the plate type cooler, but if I am getting hot lapped (often happens in the final rounds), then I can stop at the cool down box and spray a little water on the plate type cooler, and it cools the tranny fluid right down.

Paul

paulb said:
That's what I did. I mounted a plate type cooler under the pickup with a electric fan. For what I do it works out better then the heat exchanger. With the heat exchanger the tranny fluid won't get down below the temp of the coolant. I like to start passes with the tranny temp at 140. Everytime... The heat exchanger is way more efficient then the plate type cooler, but if I am getting hot lapped (often happens in the final rounds), then I can stop at the cool down box and spray a little water on the plate type cooler, and it cools the tranny fluid right down.

Paul

That's a heck of a good idea!!

I'm still undecided if I want the move the heat exchanger, or switch to a plate type cooler.

Any advantage in cold weather to keep the heat exchanger??
Chris

I've also thought about getting a "bigger" hydraulic cooler out of a tractor, and ditching both coolers. I don't like the idea of hose clamps on a 200psi system...especially one I paid so much for:D

Last edited:
Signature600 said:
That's a heck of a good idea!!

I'm still undecided if I want the move the heat exchanger, or switch to a plate type cooler.

Any advantage in cold weather to keep the heat exchanger??
Chris

I've also thought about getting a "bigger" hydraulic cooler out of a tractor, and ditching both coolers. I don't like the idea of hose clamps on a 200psi system...especially one I paid so much for:D

The heat exchanger does warm the fluid when it's cold out. The coldest it has gotten since I removed the heat exchanger was 2* F. Everything seemed to work okay. I'm sure it would be better on the tranny to have warmer fluid, but I haven't seen a problem yet.

I have been thinking about getting rid of the other cooler as well. More because it puts so much heat to the intercooler then for any other reason. I know some people that have done it, and have used a frame rail type cooler. I may look into that before summer.

Paul

So if wanted to re-use my old heat exchanger I could just mount it else where and have some longer lines made for it?
The heat exchager is only for cooling the tranny fluid, right?

What kind of brands out there that make a plate cooler to use?