heat wrapping down tube

Bad Moose

Just a pain in the arse
Is there any benefit to wrapping the down tube with header wrap? I'm upgrading the down tube and was wondering if there was any benefit of this before I install it.

:charger:

03 f250 king ranch 6.0l
evolution
cat back afe exhaust (down pipe and cat test pipe soon)
airraid filter

I would, if you're putting one in you might as well wrap it while you're there. It'll definitely help control heat, so why not? $.02

I have mine done. don't really know if it made a difference really. But, I would recommend the whole kit that includes the turbo wrap too. The rain steams off the hood right above the turbo. That can't be good for the paint! that kit is kinda pricey, but should work well.

If you are going stainless you wouldn't need to as much as if you went aluminized steel.

After a few inches, on a down pipe won't make much if any difference. Heat is only good to the turbo, after that, it isn't much of an issue. If anything, you want to remove as much heat as possible.

When upgrading your down pipe, if you can, wrap the y-pipe. That is where you will notice a little difference. Be careful that you don't get moisture trapped. wraps are well known to rust through headers.

After a few inches, on a down pipe won't make much if any difference. Heat is only good to the turbo, after that, it isn't much of an issue. If anything, you want to remove as much heat as possible.

When upgrading your down pipe, if you can, wrap the y-pipe. That is where you will notice a little difference. Be careful that you don't get moisture trapped. wraps are well known to rust through headers.

I'm curious... how are you supposed to avoid moisture? First time it rains, you're kinda screwed... You're right, wraps do have a tendency to eat headers.

I'm curious... how are you supposed to avoid moisture? First time it rains, you're kinda screwed... You're right, wraps do have a tendency to eat headers.

Don't drive when it rains :hehe:

Wouldn't the wrap get hot enough to burn off any captured moisture? Or is it just when you shut if off wet that it will do work on the pipes?

They will over time, cause rust. It doesn't happen overnight. But if you put them on, within a year, there will more than likely be some surface rust and then the cancer starts spreading.

Most of the header wraps come with a high temp silicone spray coating. Spray the hell out of them before going back together.

O okay, this was just the first time i heard of wraps causing rust, figured the heat would take care of any rogue moisture. :bang

Most of the header wraps come with a high temp silicone spray coating. Spray the hell out of them before going back together.

That is what I thought as well Doug. I know that the wraps for our mach come with a spray to help minimize/eliminate moisture.

Stainless is a poor conductor of heat. More heat will stay in the pipe than conduct through the metal and eventually radiate off into the surroundings.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate this. It is helping me make more educated decisions. Also saving money in the long run. I wish I would done this from the start.

Well I noticed about 50 degrees difference in temp on my tranny gauge after a long haul. Makes sense, runs next to the tranny. Especially on trucks with high egt s

The Fords are a little different than the dodges. The tranny fluid doesn't get nearly has hot. My tranny is running around 140 on the freeway. That's with high EGT's (800 to 1300 constant).

i wraped my up-pipes
rebuild043.jpg

Back