heater core

SMOKED

Big Iron Mechanic
anyone that is changing a heater core, you dont have to pull the steering column all the way out or completely remove the dash, you can unbolt the column from its upper mount and just let it hang down onto the driver seat, it will also allow you to swing the passenger side of the dash out far enough to get the hvac out without breaking anything, just thought i would throw that out there since the service manual says remove them completely.

Yeah that's how I do it. I wouldn't pull
The whole column out the truck. That's extra work.

Not to mention the blend door actuators are 100.00 a piece, for 100 buck i will take the dash out again

Not to mention the blend door actuators are 100.00 a piece, for 100 buck i will take the dash out again

i need to fix my blend doors, so let me get this straight, just unbolt the steering column, and basically pull the hvac box out of the passenger side? or what else has to be removed

Drop the column. Then unbolt the brace at the door jamb and the two bolts at center bottom of dash near the cup holders. Also the bolts at the windshield under the dash cover. Fold dash down abd your set.

Where are you guys buying your Heater Cores? Is this a Dealer only part?

I just replaced the heater core and evaporator core in my girlfriends 2001 this winter. I generally buy Mopar parts when fixing anything but the prices were so high I just couldn't justify it. I got them at advanced auto and they've been working fine since. If do the evaporator core and go either aftermarket or value line you'll need to purchase a Mopar seal kit. I think it's like $20. The new evaporator cores do not come with the sealing/ weather stripping on them.

I would buy oem for at least the evap. I put an evap core in a grand cherokee one time only to find out once I put it all back together that the ends on the core were too large and didn't fit the lines in the engine bay. Talk about pissed.

i think i got my blend doors from chrysler and the core from rock auto i cant remember

Just in time, im getting ready to pull all my HVAC crap out the puller. Thanks for the info.