HELP 06 2500 6 speed 4x4 ECM problems

Chace TX

This truck has been going through fan clutches and a/c compressors for the last year. Currently they have less than 1000 miles on both and neither one work. Also in that time the ABS, airbag and check engine lights have come on and stayed on. Took it to the local dealer and was quoted $3600 for a new ecm and programming. I don't drive this truck, it is a ranch truck and was taken in for repairs by others so I don't have all the details. Truck runs fine and most everything works, but no AC in west Texas is not an option. What are the options to get this fixed in the aftermarket?

Nothing else was done. The dealership found "burned wires in the harness". I just found out. Have t seen the truck yet. Got that 07 6.0 you were helping me with going last night. Runs great.

Nice! I'm selling my 07 tomorrow and grabbing an 05 to flip. I love me some 6.0's!

When we do an AC system on a dodge, it gets a complete system... compressor, drier, liquid line, and fan clutch (and flush evap and condenser)

If you have trash/restriction in the liquid line or drier, you're going to tax and overheat the system and keep smoking components.

Now, if you do have a harness issue, I suppose you could have a vref issue eating stuff up, but sounds like the typical dodge parts chasing to me.

I'm doubting there's anything wrong with the ECM. I've replaced plenty of TIPM's over the years for the AC comp coming on, but eating compressors and fan clutches sounds like chasing symptoms of a wounded AC system vs. addressing the cause

No water. My best guess is the harness is the root of the problems. Would like to know what it's going to take to fix this truck before we drop hours and $$$ in it. It's been a love hate with this one. I cuss it every time I drive it but it runs great and I really like the G56, while the seat back folds back and shoves a metal bar up my ass while I am rolling down the window trying to get some air out of the non functioning ac while lights flash and bells ring as I ride a covered wagon through the pasture. It's like a camaro. Bad ass engine wrapped in a box of crap.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like you should take it to Forrest for a harness replacement, ECM, and TIPM, just for safe measure.....

Back