Help a sad 6.0 Owner.

DirtyMaxx03

Currently using Auto Enginuity scan tool to diagnose a problem with a friends 2003 6.0.

Have a crank no start issue currently. The truck has had a slight surge at idle before this happened. He started the truck up, waited a bit and pulled away. He made it 100 yards and the truck just died.

ICP- Actual: 80-111, Desired: 1400

IPR- 14.84 with key on, steady 91.8 while cranking.

FICM- 48.5v

Replaced the following parts 30k ago.
-HPOP w/stc fitting
-ICP
-EGR Delete
-Injectors

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Icp sensor is bad, possibly connector.
Check oil level.

Last thing is under valve covers. High pressure o rings and stand tubes...

We unplugged the ICP sensor and still didn't get it to start.

Next up we are gonna pull the IPR and inspect the screen for debris. The truck did just get an oil change less than 100 miles ago before it shut off.

Pull oil filter and have someone hold down the black button with the spring on it. Then crank it over and make sure the housing fills with 10 seconds. That checks lpop. If it does, pull IPR and inspect.
I have never seen a 03 have a STC problem but they have a steel check ball in the side of the hpop. As the pump gets old that ball starts to push through or blows out and dumps oil pressure.

This IPR sensor was tighten by the hulk. We have snapped 2 swivel extensions trying to break this thing loose. We have the special socket, connected to a swivel, connected to a 8" extension. These swivel pieces of chit aren't up to the task. What now?

Go at it from under the truck without the swivel and extension.

This IPR is tight as hell. Can't reach the ratchet and still be able to torque on it good. And we bent our cheater bar. Currently looking for another.

We got the little demon out. Question, how tight are these things supposed to be installed?

Good and snug is tight enough. How did the IPR screen look? Have you pulled the valve covers yet to check the stand pipes? You can pressurize the ICP sensor location with 100PSI and use an OTC 6764 IPR commander to see if you have air leaks in the oil system. Ill bet the rear 2 stand pipes are in two pieces and need updated. Part number on 2 long stand pipes is 6E7Z-9A332-A.

http://fordsuperdutyparts.com/products/Ford-6.0L-Powerstroke-Updated-Standpipe-Tube-and-Dummy-Plug-Kit.html

Once you have the valve covers off these are easy to replace. Just crack the front two plugs to bleed the air off for a faster recovery of pressure after replacement.

Also listen closely for the injector clatter with key on. Ive seen them pass the buzz test and still have stuck solenoids. If his oil cooler is plugged he could have scored the injectors to stick them.

Since the truck has also been opened up go under the hood and inspect the injector harness for rub through and the harness in and around the oil filter base and where it passes in the front of the driver side valve cover and wiggle them around and try to start again afterwards. Ive seen where a harness will short out and cause a no start and just moving wiring gets it going. Also look closely at the IPR wiring and plug to see if it is oil soaked or split and shorting. There is a replacement whip available at Ford.

Hope this helps you out.

We got the IPR out and the new one in. Cranked the new one down just about as tight as we could. Truck starts fine and runs good but the IPR is leaking. I can probably get after it again and tighten it a little bit more but I don't want to break this expensive sucker. So do I put the grunt to it? Or should I pull it all the way back out and look at the O rings?

Back