help!! asap!!

moss765

my buddy has a 1999 24v 5sp and he was drivin home the other night and turned a corner and it started pukin black smoke everywhere and it would haze at idle and every now and then pop so we were thinkin one of the injectors stuck open..so we got new ddp injectors and threw em in the other day and it cleaned up the haze but would still pop a lil bit but what gets us is it has a real tight idle when its cold but as soon as the motor warms up it has a real sloppy idle so we drove it and every now and then it would shoot out some white smoke so usually what that means is injection pump...so we got a new pump today and put it on and same thing real tight idle when its cold but as soon as its warmed up its real sloppy and revs up and pops a lil without messin with the throttle or anything and later on today it started knockin a lil bit....so were thinkin now maybe a hole in one of the pistons or a scuffed liner?....or if anyone else has an idea of whats wrong please share...thanks!!!!

It seems to be more rare now, but there was a somewhat alarming number of trucks that would get gunk in the oil spray nozzles for the pistons.. This would cause 1 piston to fail (usually 5 or 6).

Probably is, if that was the issue I think you would see it all the time, rather than just at idle when cold.

Is there excessive blowby coming out of the breather tube?

Have him check his valve clearance cold.. If he finds a real loose one he may have a valve seat dropping or just a tight valve.

well he said its makin a lil bit of oil and yes there was a lil more blowby than usual and we talk to a guy and he said it sounded like a cracked piston so we tore it all down and everything looks good so we took the head into a place in town and there checkin it out and puttin new valve seats in and grindin the valves and checkin the valve springs...i guess when he took the head in hey said one of the valve looked like it was bad so idk well see were waitin on the results from that

Let me know I got the same problem, I thought it was an injector problem as well so i replaced my injectors for a new set and nothing

it may be a while tho and i got to think its gonna be kinda hard to pinpoint exactly what the problem was cause were puttin new pistons and bearings and all that good stuff in...but ill deft let ya how the head comes back because they said when he took it in a couple valves didnt look the best

Thats fine, It was weird I pulled my jammer 5's and took them to D and W diesel in Cleveland OH. and they pop off checked all of them and found 3 that were leaking and 1 that had low pop off pressures so I replaced em and It fixed it for about 600 miles and its back now, But from what you hae described that is what my truck sounds like also.

Jared

Back