Help chasing 2-3 flare plz!!

DieseLife

I have a built 48re suncoast in my 2003 that has a 2-3 shift flare. The more throttle i apply the worse the flare. The band looks great and i tried readjusting it but no improvement.

Here is front servo pressure, it jumps to 30 and the flare begins. Then jumps to 60 and third grabs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdmNGTf8jIE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdmNGTf8jIE[/ame]

Last edited:
I pulled the vb and front servo, the walls are scored and gouged in a few spots. If i apply air pressure to the rear (forward) clutch port the clutches lock up and hold pressure so the clutch piston isnt leaking.

20140713_130428.jpg

Servo cover
20140713_130528.jpg

Only has one seal at each location so obviously not a quality unit, i just ordered a Sonnax
20140713_130547.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the 2nd gear servo bore is the blame but I had the 2-3 flare and it was because my 47re's TV lever fell off so it was always thinking the engine's load is at idle/no load. I as well experienced flaring at more load.

I tried a tv adjustment in both directions before disassemble and didnt help. Just changed the shift points for me.

Last edited:
The servo spring pictured is a heavy duty spring, try to find a factory servo spring to throw back in there

Stock servo and cover in a built trans, nice. Couldnt even spring for the sonnax cover. TCS has a nice stock diameter servo with double seals that would probably help seal if yours is leaking. Put a stock spring in it to. Also, clean up the walls in there with some scotchbrite pads.

Toby and Hobie are correct, follow there advice. I see most of your problem being in the heavy spring and its releasing the servo too quickly in the 2-3 shift where it releases the band before the direct clutch applies giving you a flare shift.

Lavon

I don't like using the servos with smaller then factory apply pin. In my opinion they change the volume of fluid it takes to apply and release a gear which causes a flair or a bindup.

Honestly, I had concerns at first myself. But after trying one and feeling the improved shift I was sold. Firm and crisp, but not too hard. No flair or bind. I have used them with different VBs, clutch packs, etc and can always tell the difference when swapping servos around. It is just one piece of the puzzle, but no one rides in my auto without commenting on how nice it shifts.

I put this on the back burner and forgot about this thread. I ordered a manual vb kit, sonnax servo setup, and now it shifts just fine using the same spring.

Should i still swap that spring out or leave it as is? I believe the old suncoast apply levers were 5.0

Thanks for your input i do appreciate it!

Last edited:
Back