Help: Cold running problems!

Bullrack

I changed my oil about 3 weeks ago. The very next morning I started experiencing problems and the weather got about 20 deg. cooler. It starts fine and runs, but even if I wait for the operating temp. to rise fully, it still runs very sluggish until the engine oil warms up. I mean I can hold the accellerator to the floor and the rpms will not come up much until several miles of driving. I've started plugging it up at night and all is fine. Park it all day and at restart the same thing happens. Runs fine like always after about 10 miles of driving. I was starting to suspect my ICP again as I see it is leaking a little and is under the hot turbo, but I'm starting to suspect maybe glow plugs or relay or harness. It did something strange the day I changed the oil too. I change both fuel filters along with the oil change every time. This time, it started fine, I let it sit running for about 10 min., then went to drive. I made it about 1/4 mile and it died. It did start back up and has been doing this crap ever since. I did pull the oil filter and bothe fuel filters thinking maybe something wasn't quite right and all was fine. I'm about to pull my hair out with this thing, any help would be greatly appreciated. Steven.

you check and make sure no air is in the fuel lines? if not take your fuel filter cap off and get someone to turn the key on while you watch the fuel bowl fill up.

Keep this thread as a tech thread and nothing else.
If you guys want to argue about what motor is better, who has a fatter mother, etc...Take it to private messages.

I had an 05 6.0 that did the same thing for about 3 or 4 days, and the day I was on my way to the dealership it stopped doing it. The dealer still checked it out and found nothing. I changed all my filters and it was fine for about a year and then it did it again while i was driving at 70 mph on the highway in 4 degree weather. I traded it in not long after, so I think it could be EOT

Thanks Cummins98, it's never acted this way before, or exactly like this. Like I said, after running for some time, you can't tell anything is wrong at all. These things are quirky and hard to track down, but I'm almost bettin on the EOT. It just will not build any boost whatsoever until the oil warms up way after coolant temp comes up to normal. Same dino Rotella T 15/40 I've always ran too. Steven.

no problem, yeah thats exactly the way mine acted except for that one time on the highway. I appoligize for not having an answer for you but i knew i was getting rid of it so I never tried to trace the problem but it would make sense if it was the eot.

check the FICM voltage, should read 48V or so I believe. might also be a LPOP issue? do you have an oil pressure gauge? doesnt sound like an injector but you might want to check the oil level. mine was similar to that, barely ran when it was overfilled by a dealer a few weeks ago. any codes present?

On a SnapOn scanner my FICM voltage was low. I was having the same kind of issues as you. Just swapped in another FICM this afternoon and will see in the morning if it is any better.

Try using a different weight oil. I actually switched to a 0w40 weight, and it helped a bunch.

I just got finished pulling codes through my scanner. P0275 Cylinder 5 contribution fault, P0341 Cam Position Sensor fault, P0676 Cylinder 6 Glow plug circuit fault, P0500 Vehicle speed sensor fault, and the usual P0401,0404,and 0405 EGR, but we all know why that is. I guess it's time to replace the glow plug buss bar and maybe glow plugs. I cleared these codes and nothing has come back after 20 miles of driving. I may change the cam position sensor too. The P0275 has me worried though, maybe a sticking spool valve in an injector. Although, wouldn't the CPS maybe cause this Cyl. 5 contribution problem and my cold running problem? The bad glow plug could also be causing some cold start mischief too. We'll see after I start changing parts.

Back