Help launching 6 speed

gecoveyc

Diesel Nut
Alright guys I gotta defend the dodges this weekend at the strip. My brother just spartaned out his 08 F250 and is talking alotta $hit and I need ya'lls help.

I can row through my 6 speeds gears like a champ but I can't get the truck to launch worth anything. I either bog it down or spin the tires ridiculously through 5th gear.

I need to know some tips and advice how to launch the truck best without breaking anything. I'm leaning towards trying a 4x4 launch but would prefer not too. I need to know what to do with my feet exactly pertaining to the three pedals and stuff. help me out guys thanks

Use your toe to hold the brake, and your heel of your right foot for the skinny pedal, launch in 3rd 4x4 and about 12-15 PSI Run the front tires a bit harder than the fronts

if your truck can't break 13 you're gonna get whooped on anyway
and if you have 4wd, USE IT!! it'll be your best friend

if your truck can't break 13 you're gonna get whooped on anyway

Not necesarilly. Not everyone can get the big spartan tunes yet, and not everyone knows how to drive either. Some people can make anything slow:hehe:

You will definately need to launch in 4wd though.

Eric

Thats true but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to stall up an automatic and just floor the skinny pedal. That's why I drive a six speed cuz it actually takes some skill to drive.

I want a line lock for the brakes. That way I can just rev 'er up and push the "go" button and launch. :D

Am I dreamin' or will that actually work? Or is it allowed on a track?

I want a line lock for the brakes. That way I can just rev 'er up and push the "go" button and launch. :D

That's allowed, and some of the drag teams running clutches (Keating Shelly, Darren Morrison) use them. I think they both use 4-wheel line lock systems and a brake pressure gauge. As I understand it, one trick is to set the brakes at a pressure that you know you can push through with significant boost, then get your chargers lit before pre-staging, then get the boost even higher to bump into the beams.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

i found out the best way to launch mine is put your heel on the brake, and toe the throttle. i launched mine at 2200 rpms, do get quite so much front end steer.

the few times i have launched mine i come off about 10lbs at 3500rpm 3rd gear 4wd it and soon as i start i just lay my right foot to the floor and just easy out on the clutch. and in 2wd i dont go anywhere.

Line locks work very well!$.02

use right heel on the brake hard!!! use your right toes to push the fuel pedal take it to about 2500 rpm then slowly let the clutch out until your boost is right then drop the hammer down!, launch in 3rd 4x4 and about 17-20 psi! its gonna leave hard so hold on!!!

Thats true but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to stall up an automatic and just floor the skinny pedal. That's why I drive a six speed cuz it actually takes some skill to drive.

Its not hard, 1st off for one day don't worrie about saving your clutch, its time to perform. Stage in 3rd gear in 4wd, hold the skiny pedal on the rug. On the 3rd yellow light you can start to go, don't drop the clutch put ease it out at a pretty fast speed. A good driver can walk a auto truck on the line.

So how did you launch and what did you run? :drive: < just noticed the shifter's on the wrong side, must be a euro smilie

Finally took it to the drags for the first time with my new setup and ran a 13.6 on the very first run and dusted the $hit out of my brothers spartaned 2008 F250 and the other 6 fords that were there. But then on the second run something broke haha just my luck. Still trying to figure out what it was. Wish I coulda got some more runs out of it. I didn't launch it that hard the first time so I'm pretty sure it would've run about a 13.0. O well haha still dominated the fords and that's what I went to do.

RT:0.22
60 ft: 2.23
1/8 ET: 8.2
1/4 ET: 13.66 @ 101.6 MPH

Thanks for all you guys help with figuring out the launch. On the 13.6 run I only launched it at 2100 RPM in 3rd 4x4 so I know it could've run better but guess that'll have to wait till the next time.

Nice run for your first outing! I think you got some low 13's in that easy. Get that 60ft. way down and times will improve quite a bit. What did your bro have to say? Ha Ha he was probably torn between talkin' smack cause you broke and grudging respect cause he got waxed :rockwoot:

You break something in your trans?

Nice run for your first outing! I think you got some low 13's in that easy. Get that 60ft. way down and times will improve quite a bit. What did your bro have to say? Ha Ha he was probably torn between talkin' smack cause you broke and grudging respect cause he got waxed :rockwoot:

You break something in your trans?

He was impressed and it definitely shut him up finally. It's been a daily "spartan is so bad a$$...it's gonna smoke you" trash talk for the past two weeks and saturday night he got the picture. He didn't even have any trash talk on me breaking.

I'm not sure what broke. It happened at the end of my second run at about 90 MPH there was a loud bang pop sound. I can't get it over 55MPH now. In any gear if I give it more than like half throttle it just bogs it down and unloads ungodly amounts of black smoke and goes nowhere. There was a little bit of tranny fluid under on the passenger side of the tranny between the transfer case and the tranny from the top but we think that was just from the blow off valve throwing that out since I missed 5th and threw it into it. Another thing tho is my boost gauge isn't registering any boost at all. Its pegged on 0psi. The turbo is still whistling like normal. I dunno if theres something wrong with the turbo or if I might have blown the boost hose to the gauge or its just not able to get enough power to make any psi because of whatevers broke. I really dont know what wrong with it. Its at the shop right now. If ya'll have any ideas on whats broke let me know please.

i am guessing you blew a boot thats why you have no boost and have lots of smoke.

Back