Help me choose a turbo...

SLVRBullet

Ok guys, first off let me say i am clueless about selecting a turbo. Thats why i need your help.

My setup:

Daily driver/work truck/tow vehicle (7-9K)

Mods:

Raptor 150, intake, Smarty SR, 5" TBE, tcs 89% ( i think ) converter, HTS vb, 34" tires, 3:73 `s.

I`m putting an ATS 2nd gen manifold on it so i am in need of a turbo.... I would like something that spools quick to hopefully get a little low end back. I really dont see my self doing tips but IF i did it would only be like a 75/90 range nothing larger. i`m not out to make dyno numbers/sled pull just want something that will keep the EGT`s down & not be laggy with my auto/converter/tire combo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jason

i like ats, it would be an 3000. if you wanted # to go by get a 62 with that smarty. but if you have any thought of nozzles get a 64 and you shouldnt have any problems.. towing 8000lbs should never be a problem

Unless your dead set on a single I would go Stocker over S475 or A5K! Mine runs awsome it spools fast down low, has great top end, and stays cool while towing! I will never go back to a single! All around performance IMO!

I replaced my stock turbo with a 62/65/12 and it was a real nice change as far as running a single, dd, towing, etc. I was not happy with my egt's with the stocker twoing, and the 62 DID improve the egt's, but not enough. Then, I went with the 62 over a 475, what a major difference in power, egt's, even fuel mileage.

I agree with justutt67, once you go to twins, you will never go back. The stocker over a 475 is a real nice setup. Your are 1/2 way there with the exhaust mani and your stock turbo, you might really want to consider just going to twins and getting it over with - you WILL be really happy and done with it all. Will give you a win-win when it comes to power/performance and put a really big grin on your face to say the least. Enjoyment is a big part of owning and driving our trucks, make it better, much more fun.

Love my setup, would NOT go back to a single for any reason unless I was starting over with a new truck, and then, it wouldn't have much mileage on it before twins were bolted up.

CD

Twins are awesome but expensive. I do not think you would like a 62/71/13 it is an awesome turbo and it is perfect for twins later on but with the auto a 71 is going to be slow to spool. I am leaning toward the 62/68 everything I have read is positive, and it seems like the perfect turbo for an auto! It bridges the gap between the 62/65 which is great but a little small and the 62/71 which is a little slow to spool. Again this is for automatic trucks. Anyway good luck.

i have a call into E.D. to ask about the 62/68. So far no responce from them yet. It sounds like it could be a good best of both worlds turbo for an auto but if i cant get any more info on it i think i`m just gonna go with a phatshft 62/14 for quick spool up. I`m not looking for top end speed just good low end grunt & towing performance.

I have to say I ran the 62/71/13ss on my 12v auto and I liked a lot!I had some fuel and rebuilt trany..In fact I am going to use it on my 3rd gen.

i would go 62/ 71, cuz with a 62/68 surge and bark will be more likely, especially towing, I have twins and love it. u can get an s475 for 700bucks and then u just need the piping.. I thought it was a joke, but twins are awsome.

i would go 62/ 71, cuz with a 62/68 surge and bark will be more likely, especially towing, I have twins and love it. u can get an s475 for 700bucks and then u just need the piping.. I thought it was a joke, but twins are awsome.

700 bucks...... i have looked at stocker over S??? kits (with 1 eye open ) & i seem to remember these kits being in the 3500 range......what am i missing???

the ATS 3000 is a 59/65/14 non wastegated just to let you know. I'm shocked that Engineered Diesel hasn't responded.. I thought they were pretty quick on that kinda stuff

they're so bowed up with work right now, they can barely get on here to wade through PM's :eek:

Talked to Chris the other night and he said they've been blowing and going :)

i `m gonna give them another call today at some point.....hate to be a PITA but i have money to spend.

Whats up forrest........ who said TBE?

Back