Help me get cruise working again....

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
truck was an 02' 6-spd.... Electronic cruise mind you.... I did an auto swap, and took the Harness, trans, etc. from a 99 truck. I swapped to auto ECM/PCM for an 01-02, which it didnt work either. Now I installed a manual VB and installed both my manual ECM/PCM back into the truck.

How can I make the electronic cruise work again? I'm not sure if the clutch jumper has something to do with it or maybe the 99 harness is missing a wire or 2 needed....

check contunuity between the cruise motor and the switches .... might be the clock spring behind wheel ...... but really need more info ........ does the cruize light come on ( when powered up ? ) ..?

you will be looking for power ( switched and non switched ) ... verify grounds and such .... hard to say though

Last edited:
the 02 has electronic cruise, like in the ECM.... it worked fine until I did an auto swap, light does not even come on.... I did not change steering columns, I believe its a wire of lack there of now that I have the 99' auto harness

You need the Vaccum setup. Mine was the same way after the swap. The harness is all below the driver's side battery tray holder. All the hookups are on the tps you need to hook it up

You need the Vaccum setup. Mine was the same way after the swap. The harness is all below the driver's side battery tray holder. All the hookups are on the tps you need to hook it up

so what would be the reason I can't use the electonic setup... Im' using the same ECM and PCM that was in the truck before... same tuning, just different harness..... I think its doable, I just need to figure out what wires are different.

Pull ur steering wheel and check your clock spring ...... it most likely has broken ....... it transfers the signals from ur buttons to ecm ...... there is probably no contacts left or spring is broken ....

while it is possible, I just find it hard to believe that it worked fine, until the day I swapped trannies... then it stopped.... I knew it wouldnt work with the auto ecm/pcm, but I would think it should still work with the manual stuff

Check for power and continuity at both ends ...... maybe something was missed along the way ....... trace wire for wire ....... bound to be simple ....... it usually is

I'm pretty sure it needs the vacuum cable setup so as throttle increases it will pull the TV cable too. I tried several things and finally robbed the vacuum cable setup from my 99 drag truck and plugged it in.

Do you know the difference in the harness? or the input it is missing to be able to use cruise the other way?

its gonna be electrical thats why I was thinking the clock spring ..... no continuity ... no work .... it could just be a coincidence that it stopped at the time of your swap .... anything is possible .....IMO of course

What was your solution for the clutch safety switch?

Is it removed or replaced with a park safety switch during the swap? If not and you just hard wired it, the PCM likely thinks the clutch is depressed at all times - not allowing the cruise control to turn on.

Just a thought of course. You mentioned you installed the manual PCM back into the truck so it is likely looking for the clutch safety signal.

What was your solution for the clutch safety switch?

Is it removed or replaced with a park safety switch during the swap? If not and you just hard wired it, the PCM likely thinks the clutch is depressed at all times - not allowing the cruise control to turn on.

Just a thought of course. You mentioned you installed the manual PCM back into the truck so it is likely looking for the clutch safety signal.

it has a jumper, but the other day I tried removing the jumper after starting the truck... still no change, unless I should be grounding it or something?

if you have an airbag light lit up on your dash then your clockspring is bad, otherwise its probably something else

no CEL, no airbag lights... nothing....

Does anyone have a wring diagram for an 01-02' 6-spd with a the electronic cruise? I am thinking the dash still sees vehicle speed but the ECM does not.... I have found wiring diagrams for the vacuum cruise, but not for the electronic cruise...

There has to be someone that has tried or successfully adressed this after a tranny swap...

I'm keeping track of the thread because once I Ppumped my 01 I no longer have cruise. I guess I might switch to vacuum? I assume that's the only fix in my case?