Help me pick a turbo...

JR2

Okay its time to think about a new turbo.

Here is my list of mods..

Mach4's, Edge Comp, Smarty, HX40-16 (Piers Version), 4" Exhaust, DTT Intake Horn/Grid Delete, BHAF air filter and DTT trans.

Things on tap at the time of the turbo, Common Rail Head (o-ringed and port matched) ATS manifold, Water/Meth.

This truck is a daily driver. I tow less than 4K lbs once in a great while and it will go back to drag racing once in a while. The reason for the change is high EGT's (1500-1600 at wot) and wanting more power. Mostly looking at day to day street driving performance.

So lay it on me. From my reading and thinking it sounds like a 64/71/13 might just be the ticket.

Anyway lay your opinions on me and heck even lay some vendors on me. I have no affinity for anyone since Piers left PDR a long time ago. I would consider II, HTT, DE or any others you can come up with... heck used is an option too.

i suggest that you already know what size you want (and what you want is gonna work great)

try to buy one used - here on the site

list price for what you are after is over two grand

and as long as what you get is still tight its gonna be used soon as you buy it anyways

Did you run the 13.38@98mph on the HX40? Id like to get into that range with mine eventually.

I think I would either go with a 62/71/14 or a 64/71/14. Either would be fine.

Eric

also, be careful who you listen to for advice here

some will give suggestions without ever having tried what they are suggesting!

h1c ported and not ported

54/58 ported and not ported

57/65/14 ported and not ported

62/65/14 ported and not ported

62/65/13ss ported and not ported

64/71 ported and not ported

66/74 ported and not ported

next week i got 71/73/16ss showing up

ran many others on other apps but those are the only turbos i have ran on a cummins

why do you ask?

Obviously you were questioning my reccomendations above seeing as i was the only one that posted between your first post and your 2nd one in here. I wouldnt expect anything less from you though.

You know, when someone reccomends a turbo, its only a reccomendation. Almost 95% of the time no one is running the exact same fueling/air flow/timing/gearing/tire size, etc, and just because such and such had the turbo on their truck and it ran great doesent mean it will run great on someone else's, or that someone else's reccomendation is wrong. And many times, 2 different turbos could run great in different ways, but it could depend more on driving style/application than which turbo actually makes better numbers.

You were also just talking about how your truck towed great since i obviously dont know how to tow. If you are running that 71/73/16 on your towing rig and you plan to run 2150rpm on the hills at 70mph, have fun trying to do that without melting your truck down, and smoking everyone out.

Eric

what turbos have you tried?

don

ps - the 71 isnt for this motor or this fueling but thanks for the advice

I havent personally tried too many. Been around and seen a lot of chargers on the pulling track though.

I have tried

54/58/12
54/58/16
56/58/12
56/58/16
58/65/16

and soon to try a 60/65/16

Eric

a 62mm will fit the bill better than a 64. With your current fueling going to a 64 will only increase lag and cruising egt's, also top end HP will be almost identical with your mods.....

Doug

a 64 with a ported ex housing will spool as quick as a 62

and porting the housing also lowers cruise egts

gotta port the 3 pc to match tho

some feel having a turbo that hits hard and low (creating a lot of torque down there) is hard on things

they actually feel its better to go a little bigger just for this reason

I would go with a 64/71/13 or 14 exhaust. I have ran the 62/65/13ss which was a great turbo for all around driveability and towing but always left me wanting a little more when I was getting on it. My egt's with the 62 were always pretty high at full throttle as well. I run a 66/71/14 now that makes great power once it finally lights. It is great for drag racing, but very laggy and smoky for around town and pulling trailers. My buddy just recently put a 64/71/14 on his 24v and I really like how it runs it spools well on the street and I think it would probably pull trailers just as well to but haven't tried it yet. Just my .02 cents from the little experience I have, good luck to ya. :Cheer:

To the OP, my friend had pretty much the same set up as you(no CR head).He had a 62/65/14 and needed a little more so he went to a 64/71/13ss.It spooled decent but was lacking.He went with some custom 200hp inj. and now loves it.Tows light with it and plays at the strip some.

So lay it on me. From my reading and thinking it sounds like a 64/71/13 might just be the ticket.

That's what I would've said John. Throw a street cam on while your feeling froggy---just to take any lag out of the equation. :evil

The 64/71/14 works nicely on my truck, although with my auto tranny going south on me it is a little more difficult to drive around town. But before the transmission issues it was a great setup.

I'm swapping the auto out for a 5spd here shortly and I can't wait to see how it acts with a manual transmission.