Help Nv4500

shayne

12 valve 4 play
I keep loosin 5th, Factory went out, rebuild went out, performance went out!!! I can weld, is that the solution. I AINT PAYIN FOR ANOTHER P.O.S. If I'm "lucky" my truck might be 430 to 450 hp. Any sugestions would be appretiated.

Bad thing about welding is if the gear breaks or bearing gets loose, your in for a new shaft too. I stripped the gears off both mainshaft 5th and countershaft 5th and way glad I didnt weld the nut on. Saved me a lot of work... I used the high strength loc-tite. Works for me...

Well, if it has fallen off several times, the chances are that shaft is now wore and it will never stay. So the mainshaft and 5th gear on the mainshaft is already bad.
cheap option: weld it
little better option: put fresh bearings and synchros and weld it.
best expensive option: new shaft and fresh bearings and synchros. use the nut that has a slit cut in it and a cross bolt to clamp it on the shaft. Loctite is your friend. The nuts with the 2 set screws and brass plugs suck.

Also, welding will make the mainshaft a little weaker.

Jff24Gordn said:
Well, if it has fallen off several times, the chances are that shaft is now wore and it will never stay. So the mainshaft and 5th gear on the mainshaft is already bad.
cheap option: weld it
little better option: put fresh bearings and synchros and weld it.
best expensive option: new shaft and fresh bearings and synchros. use the nut that has a slit cut in it and a cross bolt to clamp it on the shaft. Loctite is your friend. The nuts with the 2 set screws and brass plugs suck.

Also, welding will make the mainshaft a little weaker.

Each time the gear dropped, it was a rebuilt tranny that went in. The current tranny is supposed to be good to 500 hp. They told me all new shaft, syncro, as far as I know all new everything 5th gear, rebuilt everything else.

Dont drop below 1900 rpm in OD. Lugging spins them off in a hurry.

Sledpuller said:
Dont drop below 1900 rpm in OD. Lugging spins them off in a hurry.
I was told the magic number was 1800 rpm in 5th gear. Does anyone have anything good to say about the 6 speeds? Has anyone here heard about getting more oil into the transmition. Once I was told oil could not reach everywhere, and that helped the gear to drop. Think there's truth to that?

Back