Help on a clucth

Chris Blevins

I have a good friend that need a clutch for his 03 D-max all he does with the truck is pull horse trailers no boxs on the truck and thier never will be any sugguestions??? Also do they make an upgraded slave cl. for this truck yet???

South Bend makes a pretty nice single disk setup that replaces the junk dual mass flywheel with a solid piece.. I belive they also make a clutch to use with the factory flywheel, but its my understanding that the factory flywheel won't last long enough to wear out a clutch, and is the root of the problem anyway

I'm not sure if Mac's makes single disks or not, but they are another option, I've heard good stuff about their clutches also...

as far as a slave upgrade, I have not heard of anything, but I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in

hope this helps, later, TW

max6gear said:
South Bend makes a pretty nice single disk setup that replaces the junk dual mass flywheel with a solid piece.. I belive they also make a clutch to use with the factory flywheel, but its my understanding that the factory flywheel won't last long enough to wear out a clutch, and is the root of the problem anyway

I'm not sure if Mac's makes single disks or not, but they are another option, I've heard good stuff about their clutches also...

as far as a slave upgrade, I have not heard of anything, but I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in

hope this helps, later, TW

I agree with South Bend......ask for Peter, he can fix you up.

CLICKY>>>> www.southbendclutch.com

definatly contact south bend. peter is a super nice guy, will take the time to answer any questions your friend might have. sounds like a single disk will be his flavor. the factory dual mass flywheels are JUNK!

macs may be another option for him as well. JOHNBOY will be the guy to ask about that brand.

If you not sledpulling or racing I would go with a SBC. Evan has Mac's single disks I think. But I like something with a spring hub for work truck. If it has stock power a Single Mass Flywheel and single disk spring organic from SBC would be my choice.

Now for big power, sledpulling, and drag racing the SMF Tiwn Disk from Mac's is the way to go IMHO

I would just replace the slave with a new stock one. Peice of mind and easy to do while the trans is already out. The Stock Slave has worked great for me even with my stupid high pressure plate.

Last edited:
So guys he took to it to the dealer and guess what they are trying to tell him it's not the clutch or the DMF. What his problem is on long hard pulls like wolf creek is the thing won't shift he has no pedal pressure at all and guess what you smell clutch when he gets to the top.

Now get this the dealer is trying to tell him that since the exhaust runs down and right past the tranny that (lol) it's getting the fuild in the slave hot and he has no pedal pressure thus why it's slipping getting hot and won't shift. And to take and drain all the fuild out and put DOT 5 in it are they a sealed unit like the dodge??? So I ask him if it's getting the slave so hott then why isn't the tranny toast yet?????

Guys I mess with alot of dogde clutch's 4500's, 5600's and G56s I have yet to pull out a G56 that has been slipping since the day we put a box on in that the clutch is worn out. I know it's the DMF I can't convince him of that though. I haven't even been under the a D-max with a stick in it the exhaust comes on the passenger side right???? And the hyrdos are on the drivers side right??? So is the dealer blowing smoke up his @@@ or is the a common problem???? I still go back to the DMF just like I do on the G56's thanks for the help guys.

Chris Blevins said:
So guys he took to it to the dealer and guess what they are trying to tell him it's not the clutch or the DMF. What his problem is on long hard pulls like wolf creek is the thing won't shift he has no pedal pressure at all and guess what you smell clutch when he gets to the top.

That is a sign of a failing Dual mass fly wheel. It is dangerous someone could be badly hurt if you can not stop the truck because the clutch will not release. Tell them that. Make there mechnic drive it. It will scare the crap out him. The trouble is the dealer can only replace it with another GM Dual Mass Flywheel. It is junk also. I got one sitting in the corner of my garage.

Now get this the dealer is trying to tell him that since the exhaust runs down and right past the tranny that (lol) it's getting the fuild in the slave hot and he has no pedal pressure thus why it's slipping getting hot and won't shift. And to take and drain all the fuild out and put DOT 5 in it are they a sealed unit like the dodge??? So I ask him if it's getting the slave so hott then why isn't the tranny toast yet?????

Dealer is smoking crack off right the service bulletin. I actually put a gage on my trans. Never had it go over 200degrees. Dot 4 is rated to 400 degrees IIRC. Your 100% correct. Exhaust on the passenger side Hydraulics on the drivers side. Correct on the sealed system also. No way to bleed it. No way to get all the DOT4 out. The real trouble is the darn Luk made DumbaZZ oh I mean Dual mass flywheel is junk. the springs get week which binds up the flywheel. That causes the face to flex and the clutch to slip. That is where the heat comes from that boils the DOT4 in the slave.

Guys I mess with alot of dogde clutch's 4500's, 5600's and G56s I have yet to pull out a G56 that has been slipping since the day we put a box on in that the clutch is worn out. I know it's the DMF I can't convince him of that though. I haven't even been under the a D-max with a stick in it the exhaust comes on the passenger side right???? And the hyrdos are on the drivers side right??? So is the dealer blowing smoke up his @@@ or is the a common problem???? I still go back to the DMF just like I do on the G56's thanks for the help guys.

Dealer is doing what GM tells them to. I killed several DM flywheels. At first I had a hard time getting my dealer to beleive the flywheel was bad. I had to get the TSB about the new not so improved flywheel and show it to them. I then loaded my GN trailer with my compact tractor on it and made their Deisel Tech drive it. It scared pretty bad. Truck went in to the shop the next day. When they removed the trans bit of springs fell out!:bang The accordain boot on the slave was melted and the throw bearing was brown. I was lucky the whole mess did not come apart. After seeing that my dealer was awesome about getting it fixed. Trouble was they can only do what GM lets them do. So I soon had the same issues. Than I said screw it and went SMF. Made it a completely different truck.:rockwoot:

Moral of my long winded story. Screw the the dealer and get a SMF.:cheer:

sbc single disc rocks buddy has one in his 05 and pulls 20klbs daily and has the predator set on 100hp:)

Yeah i would go SBC single disk, as for the slave, ive got 40k on mine its had a DD SBC in it since 14k and actually its on its second DD, i was gonna change it but i figured the one i got works, i could put a new one in and have it go bad tomarrow. where as who knows how long the orig. would have lasted. Thats just mt point of view, i would rather pull the tranny to change one that had a reason to go bad VS change one that was brand new!!!!

One thing i do do is i replace the fluid in the resivor every oil change!