help, popped hx 40, need turbo advise

LKoehler

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.:bow: First of all, to me, this site is the most informative :rockwoot: and funniest :hehe: of the few I read daily,:thankyou2:

Now on to my problem. I am in the market for a new turbo, and I would like to hear some opinions on what would be the best for me to run on my truck. Specifically, the compressor size, turbine size, and housing size, etc...:blahblah1: I rarely tow anything. It is my daily driver. Thank you in advance for your time.

Lance

Yeah what do you think about your 40, seems like a 62,14 would be your best bet if you like what you have now, or if you want a little quicker spool go with the 62/12, and if you think you might want something in between theres the new 62/13 stainless steel, lil more $ but i hear good things about it.

JacktheBear3 said:
Do you like the wy your 14CM responds to your mods?
yes, it spooled up very early, probably 1300-1400 rpm, it had a six blade 60mm compressor wheel and a 64mm turbine wheel. I'm not sure who originally put it together. I had hooked up a drive pressure gauge, and it was still 1:1 at 40 lbs, which supprised me because the drive pressure on my 35 before this one was way high, with the same 14cm housing. I had bought it used and put probably 30k miles on it, and who knows how many miles were on it before that. so, all in all, i guess it served me pretty well.

A 64/12 could support more fuel in the future. I have seen 602 with a 64/12 370's and some pump tweaks

I'm suprised that 40 lived that long @ 40 psi. they are only intended for about 15 or so, so you definitely got the best out of it

Timbeaux38 said:
I'm suprised that 40 lived that long @ 40 psi. they are only intended for about 15 or so, so you definitely got the best out of it
yeah, no kidding. from what all i have read, i got lucky that it lasted as long as it did. probably because i never really pushed it hard hard, until the other night. Heck, it could have even been higher because my boost gauge only goes to 40, and i could peg it at will. it was supposedly gated at 38, but it didn't seem like it to me

You can get a ton of diffrent turbine wheels, but dont take my advice, call HTT or II and get the info straight from the guys that put them together.

When I grenaded my hotrod 40 I went to a 64/14. There was definitely a little more lag. But I just sent mine in to HTT and got it back with the new SS housing. Converted it to a 64/13 with a 71 mm wheel. Supposedly the newer wheel is a whole lot better for spool up. And I always had a problem wastegating my turbos down to where they should be. After seeing the SS housing at DDP, I don't think I will have that problem anymore.. we'll find out this week when the trucks back on the road. :woohoo:

Smokem said:
The LDP wheel is not designed for better spooling characteristics. The turbine trim is designed for a CDC or constant engine speed application.
I have absolutely no idea as to what that means, other then the constant engine speed. Lenny at DDP was the one that first pointed me towards it last year. Saying that it helped reduce the majority of the surging problems, and Everet at HTT showed me the wheels at the diesel drags and explained why it would spool sooner/quicker then the wheel I currently had.

Hey Jeff please keep me informed on how you make out because this is the turbo that I am looking at and hopfully may get! What year truck do you have and what kind of fuel are you pushing?

I popped my Hx-40 about a month ago and was in the same predicament. I ended up with the sps62 from II and absolutely love it. Spool was about the same as the hx-40 if not a tad better, but hits full boost much faster. I have it set at 45psi right now and have plenty of room to grow for right now.

Would the SS housing help with heat retention causing the 71mm to spool faster than a cast housing which is what a 65mm would be in?

Last edited:
Schoust said:
Hey Jeff please keep me informed on how you make out because this is the turbo that I am looking at and hopfully may get! What year truck do you have and what kind of fuel are you pushing?
Will do. I don't have a ton of fuel by any means. But should be plenty to spool that turbo. I'm hoping to have it running this weekend, so it'll be another week after that till I can start playing with it a little more.

Alright Smokem gotcha. Well hopefully I have enough fuel to spool the dang thing while towing :ft:, guess i'd better swap in those 4.10's pretty quick.

Thanks for all the replies.:thankyou2: I wish I could afford a 64/71-13ss, but my SO wouldn't approve funding, so it looks like I am going to get a 62/71-14. I think this will be a good compromise between spool-up and cooling ability with my 315's and 3.54's. Plus, it should be cheaper to upgrade to a 64 and/or stainless housing in the future, than if I were to get a 62/65 and then want to upgrade to a 64 or bigger and stay away from surging issues (ie: 64/65 or 66/65) at the same time. (sorry for the run-on sentence)

Does this sound pretty good, or am i way off base?

Smokem, I originally was thinking 64, but I talked with someone at htt who said that the 64/71's are a lot slower to spool than the 62/71's. Is there really that much of a difference between the two?

decisions, decisions :blahblah1:

Again, thank you for your time.
Lance

it was 800 bucks plus shipping to have my 64/14 cast iron with the small wheel, converted to a 64/13/71 with SS housing.