help us determine culprit, dead 05CR

POS puller left all its threads in the CP3 gear, pulling front cover now... when it rains it pours!

Did y'all measure piston height through the injector hole yet?
1 and 6 should be the same no matter what position the crank is in.

Yes, culprit found.

Let me start off by saying as a full time military bomb-tech and a part time wrench monkey at SunCoast, I know all too well that you can do everything right and still get burned. That being said, what defines a man is how well he rises after falling.

I post my findings for educational purposes only and is in no way intended as slander, if anything the complete opposite. When we figured out what happened I was glad that Shane @ Motorsports Diesel is the guy we were dealing with and I knew without even making the call and breaking the news to him that he would have our back. His reply when I sent him the first picture was "looks like the bill's on me, let me know what I've got to do to make it right" and even offered up a short block if need be.

We sent our stock low mileage pump to Shane for upgrade to the D392 pump (the exact pump I'm rocking flawlessly), it performed perfect but somehow ate itself up internally, unknowingly to us at the time, spewing fuel out of the front and adding a total of 20qts of diesel to the 12qts of oil that was already in the block. The engine coming to an abrupt halt was actually the CP3 locking up and was the reason we couldn't roll the motor over.

First sign that it was the CP3 was when pulling the return line off of the CP3 to remove the pump, the banjo bolt was slam full of "gold flakes".. I mean A LOT, looks like remnants of a bushing or something:
96b985c2.jpg

0fcbd4c8.jpg

The fun started when we tried to remove the CP3 as the gear was "spin welded" for lack of a better term to the CP3 shaft. We ripped the threads off of a sub-par set of puller bolts, bent 4 other sets of bolts, removed the timing cover to gain better access to the gear and heated it with a torch until it glowed, put the puller back on and pulled the puller bolts in half. As a last chance effort before we cut the gear off with a torch, we just started beating the piss out of it with a mini-sledge and finally it broke free.

3caf4ff7.jpg

f6b22c27.jpg

f98f874c.jpg

1cb5bd13.jpg

We called it a night after the last pic was taken. Tomorrow we'll package up injectors, lines, CP3 and rail which will all be enroute to Shane come monday morning who has stepped up to the plate and offered to make right far more than I ever imagined and has thoroughly impressed all of us with his business practices and overall character.

We're looking forward to doing business with Shane in the future and would like to publicly thank him for finally giving Dan the opportunity to stick a cam, valve springs and pushrods in the motor like he's been talking about for months.

See you guys at the SGMP races in two weeks!!!!

Well put Ryan!!! I can't thank Shane enough for being so helpful through all of this!!! He has been an absolute stand up guy!!

Glad ya found it. Ive never dealt with Shane, but he sounds like a stand up guy. This isnt really a cheap fix, but not a real labor intensive one. Hopefully he gets yall fixed up fairly quick and yall can get back on the road.

nope, we fought getting the CP3 off for 7 hours instead, on the way back to the shop now

Which cyl's are at the same height all the time? 1-6, 2-5 & 3-4?

Wouldn't hurt to pull that fitting at the back of the head in the return circuit make sure no crap made it there and has it blocked off.

Good to see a company stand behind their stuff and not start the blame game.

Wouldn't hurt to pull that fitting at the back of the head in the return circuit make sure no crap made it there and has it blocked off.

Good to see a company stand behind their stuff and not start the blame game.

Me too! Shane is a stand up guy for sure, I sent him a pic text and said "We struck gold in the hills of Florida!" and his reply was "and it looks like I own the mine lol"

Thanks for the tip about the back of the head, i actually forgot about that little guy... we'll be flushing all lines and replacing all oil/fuel filters for sure.

Wow, that's a cool way to remember it. Thanks, I'll pick up some dowl rods to measure the height.

The injectors need to come apart and have the chunks of gold stuff cleaned out.

Back