Help with 12v/Excursion wiring

kasey200

Okay i call mercy...

I've been working on-off for 2 weeks now and i'm not having luck and need to get help from somebody. I am using the ford pcm and engine harness that has been modified (by myself) for the 12v. I am also using a PCS controller for my 5r110....

Here is my problem:
When i turn the key on, the dash takes about 15sec to turn on. The items that are delayed are: Odometer, fuel gauge, radio, windows. I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that jumped out at me. Watch this video and you'll see what i'm talking about. Note the THEFT light flashing. I tried to reset the PATS but it didn't do anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ARPRMXySg

Also, i don't have any power to the circuit that powers the start relay and the backup lights when the key is in the START or RUN position. Does this sound like a ground issue??

ANY help or advise would be appreciated very much. I have searched and searched and cannot seem to find what i need.

Last edited:
It does sound like a ground issue sort of or it does not power until is sees something else and waits or gives up and and powers everything.

As far as your trans, read below. If you have bypassed the factory trans wiring that will cause some of the issues you are having.
Your starter will not fire until you ground out the park/neutral safety switch or have it hooked up to the 5r110 and it sees it is in park. That may be your issue but keep that in mind. I think on the 5R110 this is also what fires the backup lights as well. Since you are using a PCS I am guessing you bypassed all of the stock ford wires on the trans?

Plug all the wires into the trans from the ford harness and see if everything starts working. Then trace back from there. you can just ground a wire at the ford computer to bypass the Park/neutral safety switch.

Last edited:
I used the pcs harness and tied it into the factory harness. I grounded the start/neutral safety circuit by tapping the wire in the transmission harness in pin#4 and grounding it. This allows the starter circuit to energize but doesn't do anything for the bu lights or the delay in the instrument cluster. Also this allows it to fire in any gear which I don't like. This may help me move forward with the swap but is not the proper way to solve the problem. Thank you for the help! I will keep plugging away at it!

Ah HA!! figured it out! The delay in the dash was caused by the wiper fuse being out for some reason?! I had that fuse out because that is the one i tapped for my airdog and i didn't want the fuel pump running while i was messing around with the key on.:bang

I have to thank Jason @ Fordcummins on this one:clap: The issues were being caused by a "almost blown" fuse in in the "engine control module" slot. The fuse was lightly melted and the link inside was almost broken. There was 12 volts on one side of the fuse and 1.6 volts on the other. I pulled the fuse and you could see it if you looked really close. I will try to take a picture tonight. Replace that and all is now good! Thanks to everybody that tried to help it is appreciated!

Back