Help with 98/01 engine swap cam and crank sensor

Turbonetics TQ

Turbonetics Turbochargers
I am working on my buddies 1998.5 dodge 24v Auto. He had his "mechanic" swap in a new motor when the other one died. The "mechanic" put a motor out of a 2001 in the truck. I think he found out about the lack of a Tone wheel on the 01' motor after the engine was already installed. So then came the bright idea of welding the tone wheel to some sort of a cut up pully and fixin it to the front of the crank with a big aluminum spacer and also made a bracket for the pick-up sensor.:umno: There was no consideration for straightness or timing. And then he sent the truck on its way in A sort of limp mode (because of the incorrect timing). I machined the "Custom" tone wheel so that i could adjust it. I have read that the gap in the tone wheel represents 60 deg. BTDC(still dont know if thats true). I cant for the life of me get the thing to sync up it just keeps setting the code. 0-60 mph takes about 5 min.
The only other option i see is to get an 01 auto ECM and PCM then wire the Crank sensor wire in to the cam sensor so that the tach on the dash till works. Any help, suggestions, or parts would be greatly appriciated
:bang

-Matt

Smokem said:
The crank position sensor does not control timing the cam position sensor does. Does the new motor have a port where a crank position sensor can be installed?
I do realize that, but I am pretty sure crank sensor tells the computer where the crank is at on the 1998.5-2000 trucks. It does have a cam sensor also I have replaced that already. If you completly unplug the crank sensor on any 98.5-00 truck you should experence white smoke no matter the temp (according to my DTC code chart).
It will run with the cam sensor un plugged or the crank sensor unplugged just not both unplugged at the same time. From what I understand the reason they used two forms of pick-up was for a fail safe system that had a back-up.
*bdh*

Yes it does. But there is no Tone wheel inside so installing sensor would do no good. All newer blocks come with a block off plate over that hole. I am noy sure if the crank is drilled and tapped for the tone wheel? There were no holes on my 01 crank when I buit my motor.

That would not work because the tone wheel creates a Hall effect its not just the gap in teeth

You can look at myn to see how its set if you want, or Tom might know off hand.

Does anybody know if an 02 ecm and pcm would work in the truck? Or do I need to stick to an 01?