Help With Cab Variations

Dirtymax1

Smoker
I was wanting to know if the 1998 thru 2002 quad cab truck bodies are the same on a half ton and a three quarter ton. Iam looking to convert the body off of a 1/2 ton gas motor truck and onto my diesel frame. I know that I will have to change out the wiring harness under the hood and the instrument panel inside. Do I have to change the inside harness or just pulge them up. Also will the power features "power windows and doors" work in the new cab "1/2 ton" even though I didn't have these in the original cab.

It should work fine. Just pay attention with the wiring because that is 99% of people's downfall when doing conversions like this.

Also, in the older Chrysler vehicles there were different wiring harnesses depending on the trim level of the vehicle (such as power windows, locks, etc.). I'm not sure if that concept carried over into the late '90s and early '00s, but you might screw yourself if you don't pay attention.

IMHO, swap all the wire harnesses to be safe.

I was planning to use the wiring harness that is inside the new cab and then using the wiring harness that is in my current engine bay that goes with my motor instead of the gas motor.

You are going to need a PCM at the least, if your diesel truck doesn't have power windows etc, the PCM from it will not run them. Get a Service manual and compare the wiring diagrams, a couple of hours deciphering those can answer a whole lot of your questions.

Also, you do know that VIN follows body, if you get pulled over with the new cab on, and they check the VIN, you are most likely gonna get a ticket and some hassle.

Back