Help with my 1st gen build.

WILD_PHIL

Ok guys while I was in Iraq me and my brother bought a 91 W250 single cab 1st gen with a 5spd getrag. It spent most of its life as a shop truck for a tire shop. 400k miles later its still running strong with no problems, other than having the 3rd gen 17s that rub when you turn to hard. This is going to be our drag truck. We were going to put a different cummins in it, but after crunching the numbers we might as well see what we can get out of this one.

So I have a few questions for yall. What do yall think about us building this 400k mile 12v for the strip? Is it worth it? Should we replace the motor?

Current plans for the build to start out:
HE351VE turbo
370(or close) Marine injectors
6.0L PSD intercooler
Air Dog 150
727 TF
Water meth kit

Is this going to be enough air for the 370cc injectors? This is a serious budget build. Ebay, craigslist, and the forums are where we are buying all are parts from.

Sounds like more than enough air for 370's.

If you go with a 727 trans be sure you get a good TC.

is it currently non i/c? if so its got pretty good injectors. ive runs pods and for cheap power it like them. pods flow a little more than 370,s

Get a 7.3L STEEL end IC. Works like a charm. IDK if anyone has done a 6.0L yet.

Make sure you're getting good travel from the throttle linkage, it will help your rpm. Also, if you can figure out how, a 3200 rpm governor spring would be a good idea. I'd throw some spray on too for good measure.

If you want to get some good valvesprings, you can use the stock converter, you'll just have to spin the engine to like 3500-3800 rpm before the converter becomes pretty efficient.

Edit: In fact, count on spinning some rpms, or else you'll run out of gear at about 75 mph with the 727, unless you can find a 3.07 rear or an A-518

Dang thanks alot guys. Its is currently Non I/C. What are some good cheap injectors to throw in it? The reason im going with the 6.0L PSD Intercooler is because its the biggest that I know of. Even guys with 7.3s are putting 6.0 I/Cs on their rigs. I am going to spray it. Im not in competition with any one to say "I have the fastest straight #2 original 1st gen. Im trying to make it fast. Thats it.

So your saying save the money and buy the pods? I thought the 370s poured fuel?

pods are supposedly actually 4x.014" and 370's are 5x.012"... if you go to the last page of that thread you can see where i made a chart on CSA of all of the sizes. That means the PODS are 8.7% larger in CSA than "370s".

Edit: In fact, count on spinning some rpms, or else you'll run out of gear at about 75 mph with the 727, unless you can find a 3.07 rear or an A-518

with my 3.07's and 27.5" tires i had to hit the od switch at about the 1000' without the OD i would defuel at 95mpg (around 3800rpm).

5x14s but they are $500 and ull need a bigger turbo...for maxed injection pump and even PODs a HE351 is too small. i made over 60psi with my 351 and pods...not good for the 351 lol

im not even 100% sure i can run bigger than PODs with my s300 and it moves a ton more air than a 351